PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Bit surprised no one has raised the download system the late Gremir Models used for years as a solution to downloading models . From memory it worked by distributing encrypted files and you got an unlock key when you installed the package on your PC. The package only worked for Windows and allowed printing but no examination of the model files. I believe the system was pretty secure and it worked well for me when I had a Windows machine.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mike Krol's GreMir models were wonderful. They were downloadable versions of excellent Polish models for which Mike had permission to send as downloads.

Tax law changes drove him out of business: GreMir Models

The models were protected by a two-step process. After purchasing and downloading the model, you could look at all the instructions and images, but not the actual parts. You sent a message to GreMir and received downloaded software specific to the model that allowed you to view and print the parts.

Another great feature was that the software allowed you to print the parts at any scale simply by plugging in "48," "72," or whatever.

Mike is a genuinely nice guy who used to go to great lengths to help with any problems with the software. I can verify that he is a man of infinite patience, which I tested many times.

Don
Old 09-17-2018, 04:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Bit surprised no one has raised the download system the late Gremir Models used for years as a solution to downloading models . From memory it worked by distributing encrypted files and you got an unlock key when you installed the package on your PC. The package only worked for Windows and allowed printing but no examination of the model files. I believe the system was pretty secure and it worked well for me when I had a Windows machine.

Regards,

Charlie

Even Gremir's system wasn't without problems. I had considerable problem with his printing algorithm refusing to allow me to print the unencrypted files (yes I had a legally purchased key) because it would not recognize that I had a printer attached to my computer. He never was able to figure out why I had that problem, so I finally gave up on purchasing his kits.