PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 09-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
kits as file downloads

i have long wondered why in this day and age the big commercial manufacturers don't offer their models as downloads? it would be so much easier for customers like me. i would love to order from the great polish and german designers directly without the hassle of postage, shipping tax and all the rest. also, why not offer alternate 'black and white' versions and vector files (e.g as pdf)? as i prefer to modify and paint, this would be most welcome. i know individual designers like enrico follows this practice. would like to know your thoughts.
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2018, 04:14 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
One word. Piracy.

Ok, many words. If they offered their wares as downloads, that would make
it so much easier to pirate their kits. Rather than order, receive, scan, assemble,
and upload the pirated kit, all they would need to do is find it, and re-upload it.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Most printers dislike to sell models as downloads mainly due to piracy. Not everybody has the expertise of scanning, cleaning and sending the models through the web so when a customer receives a printed model, usually it is not scanned or pirated. However, there are several sellers out there who have now turned to sell only as downloads because as you very well say, postage, packing, duties etc. have become so expensive that most people now stay away from ordering printed models. As for piracy, well it is something you can't fight against like movies and music. People will continue to use pirated items as long as technology allows it and as long as prices of legal copies are so expensive, especially in developing or poor countries where they have very weak currencies and a cultural tendency to go against the law.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Another reason is while printing simple model under 200 parts/6 pages makes sense doing the same with 2000 parts model can be a nonsense.Like it or not commercial printing presses will do much better job printing pages with fine details,weathering and especially small parts.

Mr.Pacynski is selling his 1:33 (and larger) models on ecard and afaik his models are optimum balance of simplicity and visual effects for home printers.He is getting a lot of flak on polish sites for making models the way he does but criticism comes usually from fans of complicated kits.

It's a bit like driver of 50K$ car is laughing at driver of 15K$ car. Comparing apples and oranges imho.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:53 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPink65 View Post
As for piracy, well it is something you can't fight against like movies and music. People will continue to use pirated items as long as technology allows it and as long as prices of legal copies are so expensive, especially in developing or poor countries where they have very weak currencies and a cultural tendency to go against the law.
Wrong assumption.

We fight piracy here on the forum everyday, we have a rule(mentioned quite a number of times) that no builds of pirated kits are allowed, no pirated kits are allowed in out download section.

And there are quite a number of designers, who are members of this forum, who aggressively fight against piracy.

Education is the best tool in fighting piracy in the paper model hobby.
For those designers who release digital kits, it is money not gotten for every kit shared or downloaded from a pirate site. If you make a product, or provide a service, you want to get paid right?
While the amount might not pay a month's worth of mortgage, it can help to upgrade the designer's PC, or buy ink for their printers or paper for test builds.

Piracy is real, we know it goes on, and we fight it everyday

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
printed kits are getting pirated anyway. security could be ensured by secure login and payment via paypal and such. i understand security is a huge concern and i suppose the manufacturers are reluctant to take up the challenge. perhaps the loosing battle of snail mail vs. ecommerce will inevitably force their hand.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:46 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
printed kits are getting pirated anyway. security could be ensured by secure login and payment via paypal and such. i understand security is a huge concern and i suppose the manufacturers are reluctant to take up the challenge. perhaps the loosing battle of snail mail vs. ecommerce will inevitably force their hand.
Yes, printed kits are getting pirated, despite our involvement to stop it.
Secure login and payment are not a deterrent.

Pirates will repost/pirate free kits.

The only thing a secure login does is slow them down one step.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Wrong assumption.

We fight piracy here on the forum everyday, we have a rule(mentioned quite a number of times) that no builds of pirated kits are allowed, no pirated kits are allowed in out download section.

Rick
I agree when you say about piracy, but you don't mention one of the main issues that promotes piracy: kit and postage prices ridiculously expensive. Also, how can you guarantee that any project being uploaded here on the forum is not pirated? And how can you know if the thousands of members don't download every day lots of models some of which are no longer commercially available or just discontinued a long time ago and say nothing??
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
I agree when you say about piracy, but you don't mention one of the main issues that promotes piracy: kit and postage prices ridiculously expensive. Also, how can you guarantee that any project being uploaded here on the forum is not pirated? And how can you know if the thousands of members don't download every day lots of models some of which are no longer commercially available or just discontinued a long time ago and say nothing??
Cost is not main reason for piracy, people not respecting the wishes of the designers or publishing house.

I, and all the moderators, check every file that is uploaded for pirated content.

I cannot know what anyone downloads, but i know where pirates upload the files, and what the usernames are, so i can take action whenever it is justified
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
....but you don't mention one of the main issues that promotes piracy: kit and postage prices ridiculously expensive. ...
Pppfffffff

Is not only "the poor who can not pay something" the ones who steal or involve in illegal actions.

People with money and means to pay whatever price also steal, also pirate. Just because they like to do so.

It is not a mater of "not having money to pay". Is a matter of not having respect for the others, and lack of proper education from their parents and teachers, despite having enough money. Or sheer meanness, stinginess. I know some people like that.

Google Adsense