PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Very nice model.It reminded me of much smaller and younger "Ned Hanlan" tugboat in Toronto.Too bad I'm not into boats.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Butelczynski, Nice ship but I'm not, "into boats" either!, what I am, "into" are museums (giftshops), and current, "business entities" (promotional tools) they just happen to be paper models, if I could have found a more effective, "promotional tool", I would have done that instead.

But this is an interesting ship, I'll definitely look into it, is there a museum affiliated with this ship?

I learned a long time ago that it is much easier to sell these in 100 unit lots to museums (tourist) and business entities (promotional purposes) than one at a time to, "card modelers", it seems a little strange but that is my primary market, the, "card modeling community" is my, "secondary market" and then that secondary market is even further divided by specific interest (planes, trains tanks etc) so it's really a limited market.

Basically, I design models for those who have NEVER SEEN A PAPER MODEL BEFORE (don't underestimate the, "novelty effect" on those who are seeing a paper model for the very first time)

The concept is simple, "hundreds of miniatures, in hundreds of diverse locations, garner as much exposure, as a single entity in one location"

In the simplest terms, their appeal to these entities is that they are essentially a, "print ad" (ink on paper) with, "3-D potential", the difference being that the recipient will actually PAY to receive this, "ad". (unheard of in the marketing industry) so, there is a very great appeal to these entities.

Simply put, there are a LOT more people who have never seen a card model than those who have, so why wouldn't I appeal to that broader market?

I've been doing this for a very long time, 37 years to be exact.

Last edited by FRD; 07-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Unfortunately Ned Hanlan tugboat doesn't have museum,it use to be part of Maritime Museum and that doesn't exist anymore.City of Toronto is holding all artifacts since I think 2009 (that includes a lot of models).

Would you like me to ask around if any of the museums are interested in promotional paper models?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Butelczynski, right now I'm currently in a, "period of transition", you see, all of my models to date have all been, "large format", commercially printed on offset presses, for this to be affordable, they had to be produced and sold in volume, I believe my average, "press run" was about five hundred copies.

I'm just now introducing myself to the, "card modeling community" where, "digital downloads" and, "home printing" are the norm.

So, what I'm now doing is re-scaling and re-formatting some of these larger models to make them more accessible to the card modeling community.

I have two more ships that I'm re-formatting and a third promotional model that I will design from the, "git-go" to be produced in the smaller format that it may be readily available to the home printer.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:18 AM

Okay, I've figured it out, the original say's that it's, "1/120" but this is obviously incorrect, looking at it closer, I can enlarge it 8% and it will be 1/100, I will re-format the reproduced pages to, "legal size" (8.5 in.x14 in.) paper, I'll then put it out completely re-drawn digitally and then put out in full color. (should be a huge improvement)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:52 AM

There seems to be a renewed interest in this model here locally, lately...