PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 07-29-2019, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Just a leeetle bit of nitpicking ... ecardmodels have listed this as "Columbia George". Whereas it is clearly marked as "Columbia Gorge" in the photos.

I googled it ... seems that this lovely old paddler is still alive and earning a living ... https://www.portlandspirit.com/sternwheeler.php
Old 07-29-2019, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the, "head's up" John, I brought that mis-spelling to ecard's attention... and, thanks as well for the link...
Old 07-29-2019, 05:00 PM

John, if I'm not mistaken, the hull was constructed of 1/4 inch plate steel and the ship has always been impeccably maintained, spending it's winters in Portland where the winters are milder, there is no doubt in my mind that the ship is just as sound today as the day it was launched, I expect it to be around at least another 36 years..

Last edited by FRD; 07-29-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:53 AM

Just a note to thank you all for your interest, there were a few numeral errors when released but those have since been corrected, the overall support has been favorable...
Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.73 MB
I tried building this kit recently, but due to the very thin paper stock, and my lack of small fingers, pretty much made a mess of it LOL.
I bought it from PMI years ago and only recently made the build attempt.

I would love to build it in a larger scale someday, on heavier stock.

Rico
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 AM

ricomon, that original from PMI was VERY PRIMITIVE!, back in the early 1980's our only means of test fitting was to Xerox the parts to test fit and the Xerox would then distort the parts!, it was printed on 32 lb paper, there is no doubt in my mind that it was a, "mess" that's why it has been TOTALLY REMASTERED, this new one is MUCH, "cleaner", easier to build as the full hull on the original was a, "nightmare", I assembled a dozen of the old ones and never could get it right so the full hull has been omitted on this new version, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you try this new version as the difference is between, "day and night"... This new one is in a larger scale and designed to be printed on card stock, instead of a full hull as with the original, this new one is from the waterline up.. MUCH simpler and easier to build... now you know why this new version had to be completely re-drawn, this IS NOT the same model that PMI originally sold, but rather, it is a complete re-draw from the ground up, I believe you will have much greater success with this new version as the parts are larger, the "nightmare" hull is gone and it's designed to be printed on card stock... if you have the original, you've had it for a very long time as it was originally drawn 37 years ago.. This new, remastered edition can be found here-> https://www.ecardmodels.com/product/...p-paper-model/

Last edited by FRD; 10-17-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
I built that original from PMI years ago and yep, it was a tough build on that thin paper stock. The model itself though was pretty nice when put together. Great subject matter.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 AM

Bluenoser, the biggest problem with that original is that it was before the age of home printing, I had never seen a paper model before drawing it, the only way we could test fit the parts was to Xerox and test fit but we could never get it right because each time, the Xerox would offer differing distortions, this remastered version is, "worlds apart" from that very primitive original..
Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 AM

I don't miss the, "good ol' days" at all as every step along the way was a challenge, we couldn't even see what it looked like in color until after it came off of the printing press, then, to see it in color, we had to print a minimum of five hundred copies just to justify the cost of the printing plates!, things are so much easier today...
Old 10-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Back then, it could easily set you back around $500 just to print a paper model, 20+ printing plates at $20+ each, figure in more than a ream of paper for each page and then the press run time, it was no easy task... because they were printed on a high speed, four drum, offset press there would often be a problem with exact plate registry meaning that there would be a certain percentage of, "off prints", to get 500 usable copies, you would have to print at least 550 just to be sure...

Last edited by FRD; 10-17-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Google Adsense