PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lou Dausse of PMI was, "ahead of the game", he was the first person I ever knew to have a digital printer, the last time Marji and I visited him, it was HUGE!, a real, "monster" taking up a good corner of his office space, too expensive to purchase outright, I believe he was on a lease program with either Canon or Hewlett Packard, it may have been a color laser., I believe he may have chosen to lease it because it included a scheduled maintenance program.

I haven't talked to Lou in quite some time as the last time I talked to him, he and his wife were enjoying their retirement, spending a little time on the Oregon Coast...

Last edited by FRD; 10-17-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:13 AM

There are very few models that I would actually take the time to completely remaster but this one was the exception, it's now much easier to assemble, to be printed on card stock, it's really quite lovely to look at once assembled, it's a beautiful ship with a pedigree dating back to the earliest stern wheel vessels that once plied the mighty Columbia River, it was actually my pleasure to bring it up to today's standards, as the very first model that I ever drew, it will always have a, "special place" in my consciousness...
Old 10-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.73 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
ricomon, that original from PMI was VERY PRIMITIVE!, back in the early 1980's our only means of test fitting was to Xerox the parts to test fit and the Xerox would then distort the parts!, it was printed on 32 lb paper, there is no doubt in my mind that it was a, "mess" that's why it has been TOTALLY REMASTERED, this new one is MUCH, "cleaner", easier to build as the full hull on the original was a, "nightmare", I assembled a dozen of the old ones and never could get it right so the full hull has been omitted on this new version, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you try this new version as the difference is between, "day and night"... This new one is in a larger scale and designed to be printed on card stock, instead of a full hull as with the original, this new one is from the waterline up.. MUCH simpler and easier to build... now you know why this new version had to be completely re-drawn, this IS NOT the same model that PMI originally sold, but rather, it is a complete re-draw from the ground up, I believe you will have much greater success with this new version as the parts are larger, the "nightmare" hull is gone and it's designed to be printed on card stock... if you have the original, you've had it for a very long time as it was originally drawn 37 years ago.. This new, remastered edition can be found here-> https://www.ecardmodels.com/product/...p-paper-model/

Thanks for the reply

I bought the new one after reading your reply. Looking forward to finally building this ! I've been on the real one a few times as I live in Forest Grove, not too far from the Gorge

Yes, it was definitely a nightmare. Fit was difficult to say the least. I likely would have fared better if I'd taken the time to scan the kit and reprint on large format cardstock.

I will also buy Margis Romance steamboat eventually.

Does she take commissions, or maybe suggestions for future kits?

One ship I'm dying to build in cardstock, or rather two, are either Brunels SS Great Western, (my fav of his works) or the SS Great Eastern.

The Schreiber-Bogen version of the Eastern was a possibility, but the build threads on or forum have kept me away from buying that one.

Rico
Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 AM

ricomon, thanks for your purchase and interest, I'm actually now working on the, "Oregon Pony" that is currently housed at the marine park at the port of Cascade Locks and when that is done, I've proposed a series of six ships that once plied the, "middle river" prior to the building of the locks, primarily from 1850-1900 (should be interesting) the only drawback with this new version is that it's in a larger scale and has to be printed on, "legal size" (8.5" x 14") paper, the Grand Romance is the same, these were originally large format prints, 11" x 17" and were then scaled down to fit on legal..

Here are a few images of what I'm working on now..
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-done-04.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-done-02.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-images.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 10-21-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Yes Rico, we are always open to suggestions, what did you have in mind?...

Last edited by FRD; 10-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-23-2019, 11:13 AM

Upcoming series

This is the, "Oneonta", designated to be the first of the six part, historic series, the second will be the, "Hassalo" (seen here shooting the rapids at a mile a minute), "Wasco" and the, "R.R.thompson" will also be in the series as well..
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-oneonta-1867.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-illustration_steamer_rr_thompson_lewisdryden1895.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-illustration_hassalo_running_rapids_lewisdryden1895.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 10-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Oregon Pony

The purpose of the little, "Oregon Pony", being built in San Fransisco and the very first locomotive in the Oregon Territory to portage goods, cargo and passengers around the, "cascades" PRIOR to the building of the Locks.

A ship below the rapids would be off-loaded, portaged around the rapids by the little locomotive to ships waiting above the rapids that they may then journey further up the, "middle river", likewise, the portage took goods, cargo and passengers to ships waiting below the rapids for their journey further downstream, it was a busy little engine and I'm happy to do it...
Old 10-25-2019, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
You have me hooked. At my age, I may never get them all built, but I love paddlewheel ships/boats. We have taken away all the romance of the sea, with our huge shielded screws, thrusters, stabilizers and automation. Yeah, I know, it's safer, but were is the fun in that? Now, shooting the rapids in a sternwheeler; that has got to be the biggest rush ever!

John
Old 10-25-2019, 04:49 PM

Missileer, the running of the Hassalo was a big, well publicized event, ships chartered from Portland came upstream loaded with spectators to watch the event, to see a ship move at a mile a minute was a pretty big deal, "back in the day"... If I'm not mistaken, there were somewhere around six ships that actually shot the rapids, once you were pointed, "downstream" there was no, "going back"... I'm really looking forward to doing this series...
Old 10-31-2019, 05:17 AM

Cascades

Here are a couple views of the Cascade rapids, no good place for a ship of any kind, other than potential hull damage, they could also damage the wheels and rudders on the submerged rocks, ships would only pass over them heading downstream when retired from service on the middle river and then, only during, "spring run-off" when the water level was at it's peak which also meant the rapids were at their peak...
It was a, "one way trip" as once the ship was downstream there was no, "going back" as navigating back up the rapids was an impossibility..
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cascade_rapids_looking_to_table_mtn3.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cascades-1915-506x400.jpeg  

Last edited by FRD; 10-31-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Google Adsense