PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 07-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"

This is a digital reproduction of the very first model I ever drew, at the age of 22, way back in 1983. (36 years ago)

In 1983 I was VERY fortunate to have been living as a young adult in the beautiful, Columbia River Gorge, a mountainous region separating the State of Washington from the State of Oregon, divided by the mighty Columbia River.

I was fortunate enough to watch as the keel of this ship was laid and as the ship it’s self was being built at the Nichol’s boat works in Hood River Oregon, before it’s maiden voyage I was well on my way to designing a model of it.

The initial proposal was that I would design and build two wooden display models, one for the Port of Cascade Locks and the second for myself, the General Manager of the Port was gracious enough to provide the needed plans.

The idea was so thoroughly welcomed that it was then proposed that it be in a medium that could be easily mass produced, available to the general public and “paper” came to mind, I designed it having NEVER seen a paper model before as my interest was in, “promotional materials” and not in, “paper models”.

The original model was crude by today’s standards, drafted by hand, pen and ink, color separation done by hand cutting, “rubylith”, it required 21 printing plates to be made, to be printed on a four drum, offset printing press, one plate for each color, on each sheet.

500 were initially printed, 200 of which sold locally in the, “Gorge” when somehow, Lou Dausse, “got wind of it” and, “tracked me down” as PMI formed that same year and was located in Beaverton Oregon, only about 50 miles away.

Purchasing the remaining 300 copies for PMI, they quickly sold out then the copyright was purchased that they may be, “produced at will” I have no idea how many he eventually printed.

On our first meeting, he showed me the PMI catalog and I was astounded!, (if not amazed!) I had never seen a paper model before I drew one and now, here I was with hundreds of them, “in my hands” from all over the world (or so it seemed) for a kid in the Gorge, I suddenly, “had the world at my finger tips”.

I never forgot that first sense of amazement and vowed from that day forward to design models for those who have never seen a paper model before, perhaps that they may be introduced, as I was, “open eyed” to this age old and much loved art form.

Fast forward, a lot of, “water under the bridge” I always wanted to bring that very first model up to today’s standards that it might be shared more broadly in today’s, digital mediums, while it appears to be simplistic, every effort was made to stay as true to the original as possible.

Here are a few images of the cover sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-v.2..2-cover-02.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-v.2..2-cover-03.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-v.2..2-cover-04.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-v.2.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 07-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2019, 12:17 PM

Illustrations

One of the first questions I always get is: “Hey man, what’s up with the full color instructions?”

Firstly, they are NOT, “instructions”, what they are is, “part identification diagrams” and they are very well suited for that specific purpose, identifying parts, there are VERY FEW, “instructions” (only for the novice) and then for some very good reasons, allow me to explain:

You see, these models were designed for the, “general public” or as I like to refer to them, “lil’ Johnny” and, “Mrs. Jones”, these are designed to be their VERY FIRST paper model and can be easily assembled by either, with just a little, “adult supervision”.

Lil’ Johnny has small hands and a, “short attention span”, the model is bright, colorful and fun for he and Mrs. Jones, having the fewest, largest parts possible while not sacrificing the details for the more advanced modeler, still producing a, “reasonable facsimile” of the actual ship.

“A picture is worth a thousand words”, these diagrams make it easy to readily identify the part and it’s application, the part is shown first in an, “exploded view” followed by the part in it’s place in the following illustration.

Even the model’s sub-structure is, “color-coded” so it is almost impossible to, “mess up” and they surpass any need for, “translation” as images are universal, parts and part numbers are well marked and numbered in their order of application for easy reference.

So, if you have a, “lil’ Johnny”, or a, “Mrs. Jones” or if you prefer, an, “Uncle Joe” or a “Lil’ Susy” that you would like to introduce to card modeling for the VERY FIRST time, then this may be the perfect kit for you!

Who wants to be a kid again?, (I do!, Ido!) this kit is bright, colorful and fun, easily assembled and represents a truly beautiful, historically authentic ship, patterned in part on the famed Columbia River Sternwheeler, “Bailey Gatzert”.

Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-illus-150-01.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-illus-150-02.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-illus-150-04.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-illus-150-06.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-illus-150-07.jpg  

Old 07-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Parts

There are 137 parts on five part sheets, to be printed, “legal size” (8.5”x14”) on card stock of your preference, simple enough that this model can easily be assembled within a single day. (if you get an early start)

While the exact scale is proximately 1/110, the assembled model is:
13 inches (33 cm) long and 3.25 inches (8.25 cm) wide.

This particular version has NEVER been assembled, it is merely a reproduction of the earlier version, YOU could be the very FIRST person to actually assemble one.

I would love to see a, “Build Thread” of this model but I myself am incapable.

It is now available and can be obtained through Ecardmodels.com

Go here-> https://www.ecardmodels.com/product/...p-paper-model/

Here are a few images of the part sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-parts-150-02.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-parts-150-03.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"-cg-parts-150-05.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 07-28-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:59 PM

Of course this model is also designed to satisfy the more advanced modeler as well as it does create a , "mathematically correct" ship of exquisite nature, I would recommend this model to ANYONE who would like a beautiful, "mantle piece" to, "hang on to".
Old 07-28-2019, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful vessel, beautiful model, and beautiful parts identification diagrams.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2019, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 156.88 MB
Thank you FRD for the great background story on this vessel/model, very interesting. I just ordered one and downloading it as I write. Thank you Marji !

Last edited by wyatt; 07-28-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
One of the first questions I always get is: “Hey man, what’s up with the full color instructions?”
Anybody who has ever built a Lego kit (HOLY COW, HOW MUCH ON EBAY??!!) should be familiar with these.

Nice looking model, thanks for the backstory!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:20 AM

Thanks Wyatt, yeah, I thought the price was a little high as well but Chris seems to know what he's doing..
Old 07-29-2019, 05:43 AM

I would personally like to thank Portland Spirit Cruises for graciously providing the ship specific information that was needed to bring this project to completion...

As a, "point of clarification" to those not familiar, "PMI" = (PAPER MODELS INTERNATIONAL) as I anticipate that this thread may be viewed by some not familiar with paper models or the distribution of paper models in America prior to the ready availability of the internet.

Last edited by FRD; 07-29-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:04 AM

I personally think of this model as a real, "jewel", colorful, easy to assemble, delightful to look at once assembled, it sat on my fireplace mantle for decades.
Google Adsense