PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 04-12-2020, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Maybe they used the attached photo for reference. At a low sun angle, the pattern appears very strong.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Wellington Mk 1c GPM-1280px-vickers_wellington_-_raf_bomber_command_hu107810.jpg  
Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
In flight was all I could think of where the air pressure forces the fabric down over the grid pattern but it still isn't nearly as pronounced as in the GPM model. You certainly do not get that feeling from the aircraft when it is on the ground.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
But now that I've had a closer look, GPM has grossly overcooked the geodesic pattern on the wings - they look like converted waffle-makers...

I've attached the GPM depiction from its website and two pix that show the fuselage and underwing surfaces of a real Wellington in a UK Museum. Totally different...
I think there are two things going here:

1- the in flight photos show the aero forces pressing on the fabric against the geodesic frame showing all those "waffle" shapes. So in stationary on the ground, those shapes do not show as prominently as in the air.

2-the artist for this model did take the artistic approach by accentuating those "waffles". So depending on our taste, this is either , beautiful, OK, or just crappy art work. Only way is to look at it up close and decide.

In any case, I think it is still better than the old flat colors.

Isaac
Old 04-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Out of curiosity, and at the risk of showing my ignorance of such things, I wonder why - if the airfoil is creating "lift", why is there air pressure pressing down on the upper surface?
Jim
Old 04-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVA View Post
Out of curiosity, and at the risk of showing my ignorance of such things, I wonder why - if the airfoil is creating "lift", why is there air pressure pressing down on the upper surface?
Jim
Lift is the differential pressure from upper and lower wing surfaces. There is still pressure and loads on the upper surfaces. It is not zero.

Isaac
Google Adsense