PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)

Okay, rapped up the Oneonta, this is the first of a proposed six ship series that were operated by the OSN (Oregon Steam Navigation Co.)-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon...gation_Company

from the mid to late 1800's on a 40 mile stretch of the mighty Columbia river known as the, "middle River", this is the, "middle river series"

While most of Marji's models were geared toward the novice, this one is not, it's more in line with the monitor model, no instruction, only, "part identification diagrams", there are a tremendous number of glue tabs and it does require some skill, still kept as simple as possible, there are 16 part sheets but only 155 parts.

The scale was a real, "kicker", this ship is exactly 200 ft. long, my first intent was to put it out at 1/200 but it was simply too small to be easily assembled, my next common scale would have been 1/100 but that was simply too large!, so, this is an un-common scale, 1/150, however, this will be the common scale throughout the series.

I've not assembled one in full color so we'll get to see what this looks like together, I'm in absolutely no rush at all to get this one done, I'll take my time.

Here are a few images of the prototype that was done in autocad.
Attached Thumbnails
The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)-oneonta-temp0086.jpg   The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)-oneonta-temp0085.jpg   The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)-oneonta-temp0084.jpg   The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)-oneonta-temp0083.jpeg   The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)-oneonta-temp0082.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 07-16-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
That is going to be a very interesting model. It almost looks like a double-ender. Was it designed to travel significant distances in reverse?

John
Old 07-16-2020, 01:22 PM

John, it was designed with a sleek, narrow hull to cut through the notorious, "chop" of the middle river, other than backing away from a dock, I don't see it in reverse., the second deck had the forward, "gent's smoking lounge" the aft was the, "ladies lounge", both with panoramic windows, first deck was cargo.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Thanks, for the extra background. I lived on the Black Warrior River in Alabama, but it was pretty well tamed by dams and locks. It wasn't really safe for pleasure craft, because of the constant flow of barges and tugs in the main channel.

I am really looking forward to your series. Wherever, I happened to visit, if they had a paddlewheel, I always bought a ticket. It's an addiction!

John
Old 07-16-2020, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Oh, I love these things!

1/150 scale might be close enough to N scale railroad scale of 1/160 to be usable together.
Oh! Just remembered, 1/150 is used as a model RR scale some places in Europe and Asia.

If boats were 1/120 then the 15mm scale miniatures gaming figures could be used with them.

And speaking of background, Oneonta is mentioned on page 17 and shown in a photograph on page 61 of the following book, which as well as interesting text has lots of photographs.

Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
Wherever, I happened to visit, if they had a paddlewheel, I always bought a ticket. It's an addiction!
If not already known, this may be of interest, https://steamboats.com/
Old 07-16-2020, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
First off that is a very neat looking steamboat. Seems like a lot of history on the Columbia River with steamboats. The project to design and build the Oneonta will be interesting to follow.

Have you ever heard of the sidewheel steamboats converted to aircraft carriers and used to train Naval Aviators during WW2 on the Great Lakes?
USS Wolverine (IX-64) and USS Sable (IX-81). President George H. W. Bush trained on USS Sable.
Here is a website with some information about USS Wolverine with a link at the top for USS Sable. There is a photo of both of the ships tied up at Navy Pier in Chicago.
USS Wolverine (IX-64)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:26 AM

Right SCEtoAUX, I've seen photos of the wolverine, I thought it to be quite unique.

As far as this thread goes, temporary delay as I forgot that I'm out of glue! (I'll pick some up today)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
As far as this thread goes, temporary delay as I forgot that I'm out of glue! (I'll pick some up today)
Do you have a list to take?
Is the glue on the list?
Is the list where you will remember to take the list?
Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 AM

Next

forest, the list is in my head, it's as good as...uh... what were we talking about?

This series is being done with the cooperation of the Oregon Historical Society, they are reproducing the plans for me, the stern wheeler "Hassalo" will be next.
Attached Thumbnails
The "ONEONTA" (a build thread)-steamboat_hassalo_running_cascades.jpg