PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 09-30-2020, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
"Seahorse" no. 4 - Armed Virginia Sloop 1776

The fourth issue of "Seahorse" with the Armed Virginia Sloop model (Armed Virginia Sloop 1:100 scratch) is now available.

Offset printing
6 A4 pages of parts and templates
9 A4 pages of assembly drawings and construction description (in Polish and English)
Laser cut accessories are available for the model:
- hull frames and the first plank layer
- a set of blocks cut from a pressboard (for self-assembly)
- gun carraiges
In addition, sails printed on delicate canvas and linden sticks to make spars.

Best regards
Seahorse

Google Adsense
Old 09-30-2020, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
She’s a beauty!

Wyvern
Old 09-30-2020, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
That model indeed looks beautiful. I am amazed you can offer it, along with all those accessories, at such a low price.

Also, I just relearned what 'block' means in a nautical context.

The model shows a difficulty of 3/5. How long would it take a fairly experienced card modeler to build something like that? I mostly build aircraft and military vehicles and have no experience with sailing ships. This strikes me as a decent introductory model of the type.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:29 AM

Hi @Damraska@
Sometimes it is difficult for me to answer the questions "how difficult", "how fast", "how much time" because I have been building cardboard sailing ships for almost 20 years. I built this model in 1.5 months, about 4 hours a day. Of the models I released the Leudo Vinacciere is the easiest - it has an easy hull and very little rigging. Armed Virginia Sloop has a bit more rigging, but I find it fairly easy as well.
There are two difficult stages in the construction of cardboard sailing ships, in which you need to gain some experience: 1) how to avoid the "angular" hull, 2) rigging.
After years of trying, I developed a method of adding an extra layer of cardboard on the hull, which makes it strong and without unevenness. This is also how I design my models. The same effect can be achieved with a modeling putty.
I invite you to view the reports on the construction of my projects, here on the forum, there are several of them here. Also the sailing ships from the WAK publishing house are of my design. I think you will find more details and examples there.
Thank you for appreciating my work and achievements.

greetings
Tomek

PS. As for the price of the model - I set up a publishing house because I want to publish models. If it was about high earnings, I would deal with jewelry or something similar :-)))
Attached Thumbnails
"Seahorse" no. 4 - Armed Virginia Sloop 1776-przysietnica-2020.jpg   "Seahorse" no. 4 - Armed Virginia Sloop 1776-jaworzno-2020.jpg  
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Congratulation on setting up your business and thank you very much for the information, Tomek! Your models all look very sharp and detailed. They remind me of well built wood kits by Artesania Latina.

I imagine hull torque happens in the same way as fuselage torque so I could probably avoid that problem. Rigging, on the hand, requires learning a whole new skill. The thing that impressed me most about your models is the tight, sharp rigging. I cannot see any fraying or sagging.
Google Adsense
Old 10-02-2020, 12:28 AM

Thank you for the high marks. Rigging is done with the addition of beeswax, which plasticizes the threads and ropes and removes tiny hairs. On the other hand, you can guess I'm not showing all the photos where you can see some errors and inaccuracies :-)))