PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Leif,you have a good eye.The image could be reversd,but still the window is up on the other side. So if both doors kan be open where is the throttle and the trim(The hole at the Leading edge of the tail is clearly visible).I have more than some hours on cubs,and never seen this.Sombody knows??
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsilver86 View Post
Leif,you have a good eye.The image could be reversd,but still the window is up on the other side. So if both doors kan be open where is the throttle and the trim(The hole at the Leading edge of the tail is clearly visible).I have more than some hours on cubs,and never seen this.Sombody knows??
This video tells about the Legend Cub and briefly shows what they did with the throttles:
Build and Let Fly
Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Banned

Looks like a nice conventional set up. Nice video. If I were as thin as I used to be, I'd love to fly in a Cub again. I don't think I'd clear the runway on 90 degree days! Great video, it was fun to watch. I've embedded it for you. People tend to watch them when they are right in front.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another Otter Under Construction

Back in Post #17 of this thread, Jim wrote: "Recently I have been contacted by a former Army otter driver and created another Army version of the otter for him. Now I have three versions that served with the 18th Aviation Co. // He also asked for a version in the livery of the 54th Utility Airplane Company (call sign 'Big Daddy'). If anyone has good pictorial references (or good memory), I would very much appreciate your contacting me."

Jim has now completed that model and has honored me with a request to build it. I failed to get the earlier versions completed (still under construction), but Mike Scalingi and Kevin Stephens both built excellent versions in time for the 2010 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days.

Due to teaching, lecturing, and writing commitments, I haven't done much paper modeling for several months, and my meager skills are pretty rusty, but I have begun construction and hope to start a build thread later this week.

The model is of Tail Number O-53277, "Big Daddy 77," of the 54th Utility Airplane Company in 1969 subdued markings. This article includes a color image showing the markings: http://www.1stavnbde.com/Artcles/54art1.html

To the best of my knowledge, during the time that the aircraft was in those markings, the 54th UAC flew out of Vung Tau as part of the 210th Combat Aviation Battalion, headquartered in Long Thanh and operating in the III and IV Corps Tactical Zones.

I hope to have a passable build completed in time for this year's Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days, which will take place 19 and 20 May at the U.S. Army heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA.
The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)
Last year's event: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2011 Carlisle, PA
The 2010 event at which Jim's Otters debuted: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA

I have attached a couple of images of the Otters at Army Heritage Days, but there are many and much better images at Mike's thread on his build of Jim's Otter: Part II: DGA Army U-1A Otter

And Kevin's build thread on his Otter: DGA Army U-1A Otter

Hope to have at least one more on the display table in May.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
DHC-3 Otter model is released-jimg_otters_at_pm-ahd2010.jpg   DHC-3 Otter model is released-jimg_otters_at_pm-ahd2010_01.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Big Daddy

Thanks for posting this Don. I wish that I could join you for Army Heritage Days.

'Big Daddy 77' has not yet been published, but will be as soon as we have finished model pictures.

One of Don's friends has suggested that it would be possible to model an Otter from every Army unit that flew them. I think this would make a fun collection. Thus far I have modeled planes from both of the units that flew them in Vietnam.

I would like to put out a call to find the other units that flew them. If you know of an Otter crewman that flew in Alaska, or Fort Knox, Kentucky, or Vicenza, Italy or anywhere else, I would love to honor those vets with a model from their units.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim G View Post
This video tells about the Legend Cub and briefly shows what they did with the throttles:
Build and Let Fly
Thanks for info. So its not a Piper, but workmanship looks the same...or better...Sometimes I would like to be in USA again