PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaace View Post
Hi Jim
The Turbo Otter looks great! I got a couple of your first released Otters. I'll definitely buy a couple turbine powered Otters. When were you planning to release them?
I think the first ones will be released within the next 2 weeks... I need to finish building them to make sure all of the paint striping is in alignment and I also need to do some instructions.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Bring them on! Remember - it's not a collection unless you have them all!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I have serviced a few floats with retractable landing gear. The ones on the Cessna's are far more common. The inspection hole are a pain in the but as most of the owners strip the screws and done put enough sealant. It would make a nice detail on a model. On the Cessna's, the front wheels pull right into the float , and the rears raise. The Piper just raise up with the wheel being in front of the float(as the Cessna does) and the rear wheels also just raise up. Just some info. Your models are real eye candy. I am going to have to make a choice on this one. These are among my favorite planes in the world. They are so rugged and rugged looking.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:04 PM

Thanks for posting those pics Zathros! I especially love the classic looks of the American Legends Cub. I bet 100 ponies gets the floats off the water. I think the Piper Cubs that were rated for floats had 85 HP.

I am getting inspired to make amphibious floats next.

I live in close proximity to Wipaire (a major manufacturer of floats in South St. Paul, MN) so I should be supporting the local business by making Wipline amphibious floats for the Beaver and Otter models.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.20 MB
Thanks Jim
Looking forward to them!
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Floats, if designed properly, do give lift, enough so that, properly done,,they are not added too the overall load capacity of the plane, as far as the weight restriction. Drag is another issue though.

Who could not love a Piper though! I remember Admiral Doernitz making a quote about the "Damned little yellow planes", that could keep the German U-Boats at bay Great loiter capability.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Release the Big Daddy!

It has been a little while since I released any new models, but today I was perusing my files and I found an unreleased otter version.

The Army had two units that flew Otters in Vietnam: The 18th Aviation Company (call sign 'Reliable Airlines'), and the 54th Utility Airplane Company (call sign 'Big Daddy'). The 18th is by far better documented on the internet, and the Army versions that I have already released are from that unit.

I finally found pictures that show an appropriate tail number for one of Big Daddy's birds. I sent that version in to ecardmodels.com today.

More Otters are in the works and will be released soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Zathros, that is a funny Cub altogether - have you noticed that it has doors on both sides, not only on the starboard (far) side? - L.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Zathros, that is a funny Cub altogether - have you noticed that it has doors on both sides, not only on the starboard (far) side? - L.
That's a Legend Cub, and they are great airplanes! I've flown in one.

Ryan
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The turbo-Otter looks great, Jim. Although I prefer older airplanes (and have a backlog of Vietnam-era Otters still to be completed), I will certainly buy them and hope to build them.

Interesting photos, Z. The Samaritan Air Cessna U206G/185 operates (or operated) in East Africa with AIM AIR (AIM AIR ). It crashed on Lake Victoria a couple of years ago and was recovered.
Project 206: Supercharged IO-550-N, N341EA, Cessna U206G
Project 206: Arrival of N341EA!
http://silverbulletrebuild.blogspot.com/2009/01/n341ea.html

AIM AIR flies some interesting aircraft, including a turbo-prop Dakota: http://www.aimair.org/main/wp-conten...-the-fleet.pdf
Project 206

Sorry for the diversion, Jim, but this is kinda on the subject of interesting and model-worthy aircraft on floats. Also, the photo of the Samaritan Air airplane caused a lot of synapses to fire for me. An old Special Forces buddy worked with AIM AIR after retiring from the Army (told me he was doing the same thing he had done before, but without the guns). My students are currently working an on-line forum dealing with humanitarian operations in Sudan. One of them is a Foreign Service Officer stationed in Nairobi (she had difficulty working the forum because a ship dragged anchor in Mombasa harbor, taking out the Internet cables).

Now, back to turbo-Otters.

Don
Google Adsense