PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Fly Model 141 KURSK 1:100 Submarine

Model building friends:
Put in an order with your friendly local pulp and paper mill to build this highly-detailed 1:100 Oscar class sub from FlyModel/Gomix. The result ought to be worth it in the end..

You will need lots of 1mm/1.5 mm/2 mm stock to build this.

This kit is supposed to be 1.5 meters (5 feet)+) when done. I do not doubt this: according to Janes' Fighting Ships, this is one big SOB of a Submarine.

The kit looks goodL Lots of prep work to do, though
Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.55 MB
You are a brave man. Good luck
Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Eternal Member

I haven't finished going thru the assembly instrs, etc.

This is not a job for the faint of heart, though..

Level of detail is very high!!

JR
Old 07-19-2007, 10:04 AM

Hi Fishcarver
If u have any pics , please let us see this big monster !!.
Very interesting Model
Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Yeah, looking forward to it! And welcome, Kooklik! Hope you will grace this forum with your amazing design!
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Fishcarver, I received my Kursk a few weeks ago and it's quite a model! There is just so much to this model, but the overall size is simply breathtaking...now, where would one put this on display? Heck, you build it and you'll find a place for it, for sure.:D

If you do start building this one, I would love to see some pics of the build. Not sure when I would be able to start mine, but it'll be quite a while, unfortunately.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
OK, now Jim. THere are now two of you that owe us build pictures. Please begin immediately!

G.B.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:45 AM

Fishcarver, there is a build report at Kartonbau site, very big sub. The missle bays are all very detailed also. Good luck, this will luck good on the fireplace mantle, if you have one or the wife will let you.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Exclamation KURSK: The exploration continues

MAF: Thanks!
I have been following the build thread at Kartonbau with great interest. This model will keep me out of trouble for the rest of my natural life, methinks.

The great size of the Oscar-class cruise-missile submarines is very much apparent here.

Finished, the model is 154 cm, or 61 inches long by 20.2 cm or 8 inches wide. The level of detail is phenomenal.....

The booklet consists of 40 pages of 11.5 x 17 inches each (or the metric equivalent).

Polish instructions are provided (including a 1-page supplement)

There is 1 page of 3-view drawings and 3 pages of detailed drawings for various sub assemblies (no pun intended). This is followed by 16 pages of formers for the hull, conning tower and various internal structures, most of which need to be laminated to 2mm, 1.5 mm or 1.0 mm stock.

20 pages of parts printed on cardstock follow. Many of these require lamination as well. Parts count? well over 1200.....looks more like 1500.

On my copy, the colour registration is very good. A true masochist would print off another set of hull skins and cut out and apply each of the anechoic tiles (hundreds--maybe thousands) to give the skin some texture. But that's just me.....and I ain't doing it!!.

This is just the thing to while away those dreary winter afternoons in the new shop, while bringing a 5-foot model in at night to preserve it from the BC humidity....

Jim
Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Aye, it's a monster of a kit, VERY large...so when I build this one I am almost surely going to reduce the scale to fit the rest of my fleet. I'm sure there will be quite a few adjustments to account for the smaller scale, as many of the small parts would be mere shavings of card paper at that size, but it would be a shame not to try and replicate the amount of detail shown in the original kit. Even at 1/600 scale this model would come out to about 20" or 51cm, still quite an impressive size!

That having been said, it will be quite a while before I can start this one, as I have too many projects already in the works that need attention...but as I sit here now this is one ship I really want to see built at some point. I think it's been a while since a new update has been posted on the build going on at the Kartonbau site. Seems there are a lot of frames requiring 2mm thickness to wade through for the hull construction...I wonder if I can get away with simple double lamination of 67# stock at 1/600 scale? Time will tell....

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense