PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by milenio3 View Post
Chris (Coyle), are you going to keep this thread for the construction report? Or open a new one? Just to keep an eye on your bird.
Sorry to get anyone's hopes up, but I'm not actually going to build this right away, mostly because I don't have the proper shade of blue paint to match the undersides. Actually, I haven't made up my mind yet what to build next when SMS Rhein is complete. I've already changed my mind on that subject at least a half-dozen times. Right now I'm leaning towards the CR.42 Falco...but one never knows for sure until the first cut is made. When I do get around to starting the Po-2, I will open a new thread in the builds section.

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Oh, well, Chris, at least this thread probably sold a few more kits! So there's a decent chance one of us will build it in the near future...maybe?
Chris
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Po-2 walkaround

So, Chris, let's help selling a few more kits...

At present, I have found two good walkaround sites for the Po-2. One is the Czech air museum Letecke at Kbely, outside Prague. Scroll down the page until you find the Po-2.

The advantage of this museum piece is that it is not restored to its former pristine status, which means you can see the original instruments (photo 1 below). While you are there, have a look at all the other beautifully restored aircraft.

The second walk-around Po-2 site is from Slovenia, where the Koroški Aeroklub Slovenj Gradec has made an absolutely beautiful restoration of a Po-2. Here we can really talk about pristine condition! I doubt any Po-2 in its own time ever looked this good, even fresh from the factory.

The pictures from this walkaround of their restored Po-2 are worth saving if you have the slightest thoughts about building this model. You never know when they might be taken down (the second & third photos below are from this page; I think I spot a seven-layered laminated prop there...).

The engine of this particular Po-2 is most probably a post-war late version of the Shvetsov M-11. Note the enclosed casings for rocker valves and pushrods, which is different from the most common Russian WWII version.

You can also study the club's own four galleries of their restoration:

Gallery 1
Gallery 2
Gallery 3
Gallery 4

If you want an impression of what flying this particular Po-2 is like, go read this story (Google translation from Slovenian; original page here). If nothing else, it contains some valuable hints to which instrument is what (the fourth photo below is from this article).

Judging from this article, the Po-2 was/is a most charming creature, free of almost all vices (if you don't try to increase rpm's too quickly which makes the engine choke & bang unsettlingly until the throttle is reset; and beware of tail-down landings since the aft fuselage is structurally weak; and don't attempt cross-wind landings; and ensure you have enough space when making turns on the ground on account of no brakes and only a tail skid - all in the vintage biplane pilot's unwritten rule book I guess).

Finally, for inspiration, a haunting gouache painting of the Nightwitches (last photo) by artist Benjamin Freudenthal. Read the story here.
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-cockpit-1.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-slovenia-2.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-slovenia-3.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-slovenia-1.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-nightwitches.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-10-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 PM

I can't stop trying to find out more on the Night Witches! Here's a page about the general camouflage schemes for the Po-2, including one scheme from the Night Witches;
Modeling the VVS: Po-2 Camouflage, Part 1
And here's and interesting chapter from "Russia's Heroes";
Russia's Heroes, 1941-45 - Google Book Search
The camo schemes seem wildly varying. Every illustration of PO-2s from the Night Witches is a different scheme. Fascinating stuff.
Now, Leif, here's a challenge; the painting you posted shows Po-2s with snow skis. I haven't been able to find any further illustrations or plans showing the skis (or skids?). If I get around to building the Po-2, I'd love to try for the winter version. Can anyone find drawings for the Skids!??
Chris
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Can anyone find drawings for the Skids!??
Chris
Yup

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Maga...35/Draw/16.jpg

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
GREAT!
Thanks, Charlie. From what Leif has gotten together and your info hunting skills, I feel like I could build a real one of these by myself!
Chris
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Go up one directory to ×åðòåæè gives you more detail.

regards,

Charlie
Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM

This is nuts. Why are all the good sites in Russian or Japanese or some other language I can't figure out how to search?

Thanks Charlie & Leif.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:19 PM

I must admit, you my friend are a wizard at finding the info for a given subject, my hat is off too you CharlieC. Rick
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Second that. Charlie, that is a real goldmine. Here's a decent resolution drawing of the very aircraft modeled in the kit I suspect. Plus all those other magnificent detailed drawings.

My hat is off, as well.

And I do love the way this thread is going.

Leif
Google Adsense

Tags
kartonowa kolekcja, polikarpov po-2