PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
The camo scheme is similar to the Kartonowa Koleckcja, but more brown and green, versus two green tones on the KK. (by the way, I just noticed that on one page of my KK copy, the color is off and the greens are more brownish, a definite printing error).
It's possible there is some variation in the print run of the KK kit, but as I stated in my original review, my kit's colors are more brown-toned than green. I don't have the kit here in front of me, but I'd say the colors shown in the Best Scale Models kit are more representative of the KK colors than those in KK's promotional photos.

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I suspect you're right, Chris. My KK kit's colors are closer to the KK promotional photos, just slightly more olive greens, but nowhere near the BPM colors. The good thing is that it sounds like the colors on the factory camo paint jobs varied a lot more than these schemes!
Chris
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Nice review, Chris (cjwalas)! And you are so quick, aren't you.

Wouldn't you agree, that the appealing aspect of "simpler" (not necessarily a derogatory term) models like this is that you get the main pattern for wings, fuselage, etc, and if the paintwork is good (like you say), the builder can then feel free to elaborate almost infinitely, substituting any number of structural parts, adding details, cutting up parts like the fuselage into sections, etc., etc.?

This is particularly true if it is a download model, where you don't risk losing quality in the scanning process, and where rescaling is so much easier.

So, in short, you tempt me sorely. But I'll have to wait for the KK model from Slawomir, I guess.

Leif

PS. I couldn't wait, of course. That was a really quick & smooth transaction; like a lightning in fact, and I had the model. I am now going off-line to gloat!

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-14-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 PM

I agree with the appeal of a simpler kit, Leif, especially because I'm not that good a modeler and have very limited time for the hobby these days!
I've started building mine (BPM kit), but unfortunately, the A4 paper I have is absolutely horrible and very difficult to use. I'm finding some minor fit problems, but I think it's me and the paper, not the kit. I'm tempted to try and rescale it to 1:33 US letter size to get a better copy, but I think I'll go through the paces of finishing this one as a learning "test" build!
Chris
Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 AM

The BPM Po-2 model

Like you said, Chris, the BPM model has a great deal of appeal. The paintwork is really excellent! And you don't lose so much of it when rescaling, since it is a download model. Structurally, it is interesting to think about how one would go about using this potential and amend its shortcomings.

I think I would like to cut the fuselage parts into separate side, top & bottom parts. In addition, since I'm thinking 1/16, the nose parts would have to be separated from the rest of the fuselage due to size restrictions. This is not an altogether bad idea, since it would reflect the way the original was made up. An interior framework would have to be scratch-built.

I can see two major weaknesses, which both are possible to amend by kit-bashing or scratch-building, namely the engine (including the prop, of course!), and the wheels. Cockpit interior details, mostly the seats, could do with some extra treatment. But otherwise, I think this could be made into a very good model very much as is.

I am most interested to see how you fare with the model, particularly the wing attachment method (boxes of ordinary card). I can't see yet how the dihedral is created, but I suppose it is built into the design of these boxes.

I tried to judge the general scale fidelity by matching the provided sideview of the finished model (first image attached below), with the drawings refered to earlier in this thread (second image).

If you superimpose these on one another (third image), you can spot a few weaknesses, that might or might not be need amending:

+ The top of the nose section needs a bit further bulging. This could possibly be done by shaping the part in question.

+ The wings have too low incidence, and the top wing needs to come forward a bit. This could be fixed with an appropriate jig or fixture when assembling the wings to the fuselage.

+ The low incidence might have something to do with the fact that the designer has missed the rather odd inclination of the bottom of the fuselage. This might be possible to amend by redrawing the side parts a little bit.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2_bpm_sideview-1.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2_bpm_sideview-2.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2_bpm_sideview-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Leif,
This will be great info for when I build it again with some good paper! I'm just doing a quick build as supplied this time, mostly because my paper is so bad. The nose on the kit is nothing like either the kit illustration or the drawing; the bulge is too far forward on the kit. Your idea of cutting the fuselage into sections is definitely a good one. While the one-piece fuselage of the kit works just fine, it's a little cumbersome to get together. I'm on the engine now, and it's fine for a simple model, but there's definite room for improvement. Oh, heck, I should just start a build thread on this one so it's not in the way here!
Chris

PO-2, Best Paper model 1/35

Last edited by cjwalas; 03-15-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
While not as dramatic a story as the Soviet Night Witches, the North Koreans also used the Po-2 during the Korean War. They flew harrassment missions at night and were called "Bedcheck Charlies" by the Marines. Marine Night Fighter Squadron 513 (VMF(N)-513) F7F-3N Tigercats are reported to have shot down two of them and two more were claimed by pilots flying Douglas F3D Skyknight jets. See John P. Condon, U.S. Marine Aviation in Korea: Corsairs to Panthers, Washington, DC: Marine Corps Historical Center,2002, p. 45, available as a downloadable pdf here U.S. Marine Aviation in Korea: Corsairs to Panthers.

Historian Bob Door describes one of these actions by an F7F-3N flown by Major E.A. Van Gundy and Master Sergeant T.H. Ullum) here: F7F Tigercat was terror of night skies in Korea [Archive] - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans

Don
Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Found this link to a completed Fly Model version of the Po-2.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Interesting model, Chris, thanks for posting that. I wish it had a better side view; that front cowl looks like it's nicely formed.
It sure doesn't have the look of the KK kit, though!
I saw this one for sale at Paper Model Store in my searches. I hope this doesn't turn into my next obsession!
Chris
Old 03-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Polikarpov Po-2 details reference pack (3.25 MB)

I made a compilation of 10 of the detail sketches of the Polikarpov Po-2 found in the Russian Air War Magazine.

The pack comes as a ten-page pdf file. The drawings are of lower resolution than the originals, but since this is just for reference - not actual design - you may find a selection in this format handy to print or just have around.

I attach a few samples below. Don't use these; instead download the pdf-file from the aviation downloads section.

Leif

PS. Chris (cjwalas) - I omitted the ski drawing. I'm sure you have it already...
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-details-1.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-details-2.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-details-3.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-details-6.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-details-10.jpg  

Google Adsense

Tags
kartonowa kolekcja, polikarpov po-2