PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
It is so nice to read this thread about a plane that I didn't knew and all the stories involved.

All the models and drawings, and documentation presented here are great.

Thanks to all the people who are making this thread.
I'm learning a lot

Ruben
Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Just had to make do with the Lysander, I guess...
Actually, I think a better analogy would be the Fairey Swordfish. But even outmoded as that one was, it was still a vastly superior aircraft... well, maybe not vastly superior. 40% better by my guess based on speed alone.
Chris
Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Po-2 now at Shuttleworth

I hope it is OK to use this thread as a sort of repository for all things Po-2. Here's a bit of good news:

For a couple of months now, the British Shuttleworth collection has incorporated a beautiful Polikarpov Po-2. None of the paper model versions discussed in this thread (the Best Paper Model version of a Russian Po-2, and the Kartonowa Kolekcja version of a Polish Po-2), nor the older Fly model version of a Russian Po-2, has this - in my view - very attractive camo pattern of fairly light tan, green, and dark blueish black.

The Kartonowa Kolekcja model no doubt is the superior paper model version, and it would be a worthy task to provide a version with this camo. For those so inclined, here are links to a couple of photo essays (an internet search will yield many, many more) of the Shuttleworth collection Po-2, and a few sample photos:

"Shuttleworth Training Week 2011"
"May Day in Russian!"
The Shuttleworth Collection's Spring Air Display (scroll down a bit)

Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-11-05-01egth0042.jpg Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-11-04-12egth0171.jpg Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-11-04-12egth0263.jpg Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-11-04-12egth0268.jpg

For a clincher, study the starter contraption in this one:

Admittedly, it is a bit of an anachronism, since it is marked RAF and probably dates from an earlier period. But there is a certain flavour of Russia there, isn't it?

The official Shuttleworth history of this particular aircraft is here.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po2-12.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-11-04-14egth0284.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 07-27-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Colour scheme identified

Reading back in this thread and revisiting the material collected on the Po-2 I noticed an interesting fact - the Shuttleworth collection apparently has chosen a colour scheme which already has appeared here as well:

Here's another image of that scheme, from the material brought up here:

You will notice that the number on the tail fin is identical to the Shuttleworth exemplar, identifying their Po-2 as emulating this particular Russian night bomber regiment Po-2. The actual airframe restored of course has a completely different history, as described on the Shuttleworth Po-2 page. It would have been kind of interesting if the foundation had included a bit of the history of the aircraft they chose to emulate as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po2-28-shuttleworth.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM

New version of the Kartonowa Kolekcja Po-2

It would seem that the designer of the Kartonowa Kolekcja Po-2 model, Pawel Mistewicz, has had the same kind of thoughts as reflected above, about making a proper Russian livery for his excellent model of the Po-2.

The first KK model of 2013 is such a repainted (and slightly redesigned, I suppose, in details) version of the classic Po-2:

Have a look at several more large photos here, and order directly from KK here.

I believe this to be the perhaps ultimate Po-2 model. Reading the translated text about the model, what emerges is that this is a model of the Po-2s used by the "Nacht-hexen" (Witches of the Night; Night Withces) - the all-women night-bomber units! (Text is edited by me for clarity):

Quote:
April 2013
* From April 5 the sixteenth issue (1/2013) of this series is available. Featured is a reworked version of the light night-bomber Polikarpov Po-2 (the first edition from 2008 has been sold out). The present version of the model is slightly reworked and has received a new livery and markings. The version now introduced bears the WWII colors of the famous 46 "Taman" Night Guards Regiment, as used by this unit during the fighting in Poland in the autumn of 1944. The crew of the regiment aircraft as well as the ground staff were all women.

Designer: Paul Mistewicz. Scale 1:33. 622 parts printed on six sheets of cardboard. Laser-cut formers available, plus plastic wheels.
• Read about the 46th "Taman" Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment here (Wikipedia).

• A good page about the night witches

• A video of the night witches (YouTube)

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-kk-po-2-1-2013.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Google Adsense

Tags
kartonowa kolekcja, polikarpov po-2