PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33

Type: Polikarpov Po-2 (general purpose biplane)
Scale: 1:33
Designer: Pawel Mistewicz
Difficulty: moderately difficult (options for extra details)
Format: A4, 12-page booklet, 6 pages of parts

When I first saw this kit listed at Paper Model Store, I wasn't very interested. But then I read up on the Po-2 at Wikipedia and grew to like it. The Po-2 was the world's most-produced biplane, with over 40,000 built, in which case it must be considered among the world's most remarkable aircraft.

Kartonowa Kolekcia is a newer publisher, but from the look of the A4-size booklet that arrived in the mail, it would appear they intend to be a major player. Everything about the kit says quality: excellent card stock, including a 2-sided glossy cover; profuse illustrations; crisp artwork. The level of detail is good but not overwhelming. A set of laser-cut formers is available. The kit and frames combined will set you back only US$14 at PMS.

Photos of a finished model can be seen at Kartonowa Kolekcia. The colors of the printed kit are slightly different from those seen in the KK photos; the kit's primary colors are more brown-toned than the green seen in the site photos.

Over-all, I would rate this kit 4 1/2 out of 5 stars, only because 1) there is no English translation of the text and 2) there is no weathering on the model. But these are very slight grievances -- otherwise the kit looks like a real winner.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-front-cover.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-back-cover.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-parts.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-diagrams.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-laser-cut-frames.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Looks like another nice build is coming Chris. Seems pretty reasonably priced with the formers.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The Po-2 (U-2) isn't a fluke. I built their Brewster with laser cut formers (a score from Ron's clearance sales) and it too was just as you've described. Detailed enough to present a challenge, with fit good enough, um... not to present a challenge<g>
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thank you for bringing this model, and the publisher, to my attention. The old model of Po-2 (GPM I think) was due for an overhaul. This seems excellent and very tempting (see publishers photos).

On the European scene, Slawomir Wojcik (Kartonmodellbau.net) has already reviewed it (in German).

The Po-2 was used by the "Nightwitches", women pilots who bombed the German invasion forces under rather heroic conditions. The model depicts the Polish version, but could probably be changed to a pure Russian version fairly easy (Photoshop the Polish insignia away), if one would prefer that.

For your inspiration, here's a Babelfished translation from the MK Magazine, plus a drawing from the same site of different versions of the Po-2. The civilian one isn't bad either - I believe it had four seats and a wider fuselage. That would be kind of hard to accomplish, though.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po_2_1.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-04-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM

Better drawings

I just found out that it is difficult to download the drawings package from the Babelfished site. So, here's the link to the Russian original.

When you press the link for the drawings, you have to "save as", otherwise you get a rar-file as text.

I have attached the two drawings in the package as .jpg illustrations. Originals are high-quality .tiff files. Download these if you are going to use them. (Found out later that these drawings in fact are included in the first package below; apologies...)

Further searching led to the Airwar.ru site, which has two superior sets of drawings with lots of interior details and engine, plus other versions, including floats and the civilian version, which turns out to have been a five-seater with rather unorthodox arrangement of the seats.

Get the drawings above here: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/po2.html

Get the drawings above here: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/po2mbi.html

These are really superior sets of drawings, too large to include as anything but linked illustration. Go download a Po-2 feast!

Leif

PS. The comic strip in the margin of the second drawing below brings back nostalgic memories. It is from Aeromodeler, vintage ca 1960, also published in Ron Moulton's book on control-line flying, same vintage; bible of my youth. No idea why the draughtsman or publisher included that one!
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po_2_1a.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po_2_2a.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-04-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Amending
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Leif,
Thanks for the links to the plans. What a selection! But even more thanks for mentioning the "NachtHexen". I had never heard of them before and it is a fascinating story! I've been googling the heck out of them and I think I may have to get one of these kits to do as you suggest and build a version from the 588th Night Bomber Regiment as a tribute!
I remember seeing the old MM version of the Po-2 ( I may even still have one), but I never thought it possible that this plane would have fought in WWII. Fascinating tactics of the Night Witches; brave ladies.
I love all the info you share, Leif! Thanks again.
Chris
Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The Po-2s were such a pest that the Germans created light nightfighter units to try to suppress them. The Fw189 (subject of one of MM builds) was one of the main types used in this nightfighter role.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
The Po-2s were such a pest that the Germans created light nightfighter units to try to suppress them. The Fw189 (subject of one of MM builds) was one of the main types used in this nightfighter role.
Regards,
Charlie
Thanks for the reminder, I'd better get back to the 189! Now I have to get the Po-2, they're almost a matched set, historically.
Chris
Old 03-05-2009, 03:56 AM

Chris, I'm so glad you caught on to the Night Witches. That's what drew me to the Po-2 in the first place (plus of course the general "biplane-ness" of it; much like the Boeing Stearman, the German Focke Wulff Steiglitz, and others - only simpler, more down to earth). Thanks also for providing links to publishers & Wikipedia. That's the kind of thing which makes visiting the site a pleasure.

I saw a Russian documentary about the Night Witches, featuring interviews with surviving women pilots. It turns out they started in the middle of the night, and navigated without any external help in the dark to their target.

Then one of the team of aircraft drew the attention of the searchlights and anti-aircraft guns - and conciously kept it. Meanwhile others cut their engines, and glided down over the target to drop their bombs.

Survivors had to navigate back to their base, still in the dark. They might have timed their attack so they had help from the dawn light, I don't recall. But I seem to recall they could make several attacks like that on a single night, so some of them must have been in total darkness - and cold, in the winter.

Leif

PS. By the way, did you ever watch - and listen to - the YouTube clip of a Po-2 linked from the Wikipedia site? If not, go find out why the aircraft was called a sewing machine by the Germans! While there, here's another one, which includes detailed shots of the interior plus details; and yet another good one. The last one seems to be a passenger flight with a veteran, perhaps an old Po-2 pilot himself? The last one is almost ten minutes, with several cameras onboard, and in an accompanying aircraft, so you get a lot of airtime in a Po-2!

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-05-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Leif..

Great video links. I just got this kit myself, and it is a beauty...
Google Adsense

Tags
kartonowa kolekcja, polikarpov po-2