Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
Very nice work, Knife!
Support us on Patreon
Old 04-23-2016, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Next up in the Blackhawk lineup is the FireHawk. It's the fire fighting version of the S-70. It's unique feature is a large water tank below the fuselage, complete with suction hose to refuel the tank from any convenient water source. To carry the water tank the landing gear is stretched to raise the helicopter. A Sikorsky on stilts. Here's were you can get it: Murph's Models - Sikorsky S-70 Blackhawk

I shrunk the parts by 57% to create a 1/72 scale model. I used the same techniques for this model as with the PaveHawk. I did add a few changes during construction. I squeezed the exhaust into a oval shape, and trimmed up the IR deflector shroud around the exhaust so they have a downward tilt. I finally figured out how Aaron had designed the external hoist. I mounted it sideways on the PaveHawk, it should be mounted vertically as on this model.

The model is stock, except I repainted the tail rotor to be mostly white. The kit comes with grey tail rotor blades with white stripes. Both versions were flown on this aircraft. I just thought with all the black on the aft fuselage that white blades would look better. I buried a straight pin in the tail wheel strut to provide strength. I split a carbon fiber rod and glued it into the rotor blades to keep them from drooping with age.

The model fits in well with my 1/72 scale Blackhawk fleet. I recommend this version, it's colorful and has lots of little details.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3260.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3261.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3263.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3272.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3277.jpg  

Old 04-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Here's the glamour shots. I couldn't use my usual technique of taking slightly out of focus photos from a distance to hide the blemishes. A helicopter this size requires close ups.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3264.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3265.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3268.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3274.jpg   Murph's Models Blackhawk series-img_3275.jpg  

Old 04-23-2016, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Another magnificent build knife. Way to go.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
The Firehawk looks lovely!
Old 04-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Thanks, everybody. The "Whitehawk" (VH-60) is next in line.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Excellent work, Knife. Just curious, how do you split a carbon fibre rod, please?

Papermate
Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 PM

To split the carbon rod, I just used the razor blade as shown in the photo. Slowly start the cut at one end and work it down to the other end. IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: Carbon fiber splinters will not be absorbed by the human body. Should you get a splinter in your finger, it will NEVER go away, and may work it's way down to the bone. Bottom line, by VERY CAREFUL should you decide to try this method. Also, carbon fiber dust is very dangerous if inhaled. Like the splinter, it will never be absorbed by the body. It will stay in your body forever. I wear a mask and wipe the work surface with a moist paper towel as soon as I'm done working with carbon fiber.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.76 MB
Knife,
Nice build on the 60's. As a former crew-chief on Huey's and Hawk's they look great.
FYI.. the different exhaust on the pavehawk model is called HIRSS
Hover InfraRed Suppression System. It is standard on most blackhawks now.
And yes, the horizontal stab is the same on all H-60 models.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Thanks, Knife, for the tips but have I (or you) missed the photo you mentioned? I went to an RC shop the other day and the guy there said that carbon rod couldn't be cut with pliers but only saw. If so, considering the hardness of the carbon rod, how difficult is it to split cut with a razor blade? Maybe I should just use those 2mm carbon rods even though they may add to the thickness of the main rotor blades.

Papermate
Google Adsense