PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Coastal Forces in Paper (CFP)

1:250 British coastal defense naval craft from World War II. These are being offered by Horst Murell at www.cfp.muerell.de

The current catalog includes:
British 105ft Motor Minesweeper (1942)
Harbour Defence Motor Launch ML1031 (1940)
Harbour Defence Motor Launch ML1285 (1942)
Fairmile A Motor Launch ML100 (1940)
Fairmile A Minelayer ML103 (1941)

The kits are available in German or English editions and are presented in an A4 spiral-bound booklet. Each of mine were received in a zip-lock bag. There are clear plastic protectors for the front and back covers (save for canopy-making on your aircraft projects). The front cover has photos of the completed model and various kit information. Using the 105ft minesweeper as an example, there are three pages of part-by-part instructions with excellent photos to assist in assembly. Next was a heavy cardstock page with hull frames, decks and miscellaneous other parts. A second page of lighter cardstock had the remainder of the parts. The cardstock used is grey which eliminates the need for coloring cut edges. Some of the other kits had two different shades of grey. Parts count runs from 150 for the smallest vessel to 300 for the 105ft minesweeper and the lengths from 9 to 12 cm.

For those familiar with David Hathaway's "Paper Shipwright" models the quality and construction techniques of the CFP kits are very similar. All of the models are of the waterline type and all have many TINY parts. Having said that, the accuracy of the parts is dead on and if a gorilla-fist like me can manage them, any experienced modeler should be OK. The prices range from 9.00E to 12.00E and may be off-putting for some. I purchased all five and even with the Euro/Dollar exchange rate I am pleased with the value and quality of these models.

I encourage those who enjoy a "small" (couldn't resist that) challenge to give these models a try.

Last edited by member_3; 07-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
Thanks for the link. I was hoping the site was linked to the old paper-models.com site, but I guess it would be called Coastal Defenses then.

Jason
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM

CFP do a free download of the 65ft admiralty motorised fishing vessel if anyone wants to give them a try.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm trying to arrange a simulation of the Raid on St. Nazaire during WWII. I have a Revell 1/240 scale HMS Cambelltown, but have been unable to find the necessary ML's
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the very thorough and helpful description. These look like splendid models.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
I want the vosper motor torpedo boats
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.67 MB
Coastal Forces in Paper

'Ezmodon',

CFinP do a fine Fairmile B class ML and his Fairmile C class MGB would be great for '314' the HQ ship for 'Chariot' and his MTB 358 kit could be converted to MTB 74, would take a fair bit of work though.

I also have a card model of HMS Campbeltown as modified for the raid and my plan is to rescale it to 1/144th scale, my preferred scale for doing coastal forces models.

Op Chariot is one of my pet projects so please send me a 'pm' with your e-mail address and I'll try to help in any way I can.

Roger in Oz.