PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 163.35 MB
USS Zumwalt DDG-1000

Been fascinated with this ship since word of it's existence first graced the web. When I found Ecardmodels had a 1/350 scale kit I grabbed it! I plan to start this model tonight, it seems to have a unique structure. I will do my best to post photo's of my progress.

I do have a few details to work out. I know the Zumwalt has recently dropped it's plan to install (2)Mark 110 57mm secondary weapons systems, in favor of 30mm systems currently in wide use. And the existing Radar mast differs a great deal from what has been shown in concept art and indeed on the model itself.....not quite sure what to do here..

Stay tuned! more to come!
Attached Thumbnails
USS Zumwalt DDG-1000-880544-20151210_zumwalt_4-1024x683.jpg   USS Zumwalt DDG-1000-23278004889_4624cff750_h-1.jpg   USS Zumwalt DDG-1000-4fvvlln.jpg   USS Zumwalt DDG-1000-dsc06433.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2017, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane_182 View Post
Been fascinated with this ship since word of it's existence first graced the web. When I found Ecardmodels had a 1/350 scale kit I grabbed it! I plan to start this model tonight, it seems to have a unique structure. I will do my best to post photo's of my progress.

I do have a few details to work out. I know the Zumwalt has recently dropped it's plan to install (2)Mark 110 57mm secondary weapons systems, in favor of 30mm systems currently in wide use. And the existing Radar mast differs a great deal from what has been shown in concept art and indeed on the model itself.....not quite sure what to do here..

Stay tuned! more to come!
bought this awhile back so will thread with interest
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.02 MB
I got a chance to tour this Vessel this past October a day before it's Commission. I Heard about that weapon system being changed also they want to carry the Phalanx until the bugs are sorted with the Rail gun. As for the radar mast see if there are photos from the Naval base in San Diego where there doing the fittings for the ship. Also the Captains name is James Kirk. Ohh and Hey Good Luck with this Build!!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 163.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asroc View Post
I got a chance to tour this Vessel this past October a day before it's Commission. I Heard about that weapon system being changed also they want to carry the Phalanx until the bugs are sorted with the Rail gun. As for the radar mast see if there are photos from the Naval base in San Diego where there doing the fittings for the ship. Also the Captains name is James Kirk. Ohh and Hey Good Luck with this Build!!!!!

I am having difficulty locating information / pictures on this ship. These latest photo's are claimed to be from the ships visit to San Diego. Lots of new stuff! There is now a sturdy looking deck railing, A large telescoping mast (Navigation??) at the bow of the ship. Angled shielding has appeared around the radar atop the bridge, and 2 white dome like radar installations.

It looks as though the secondary 57mm turrets that were to be mounted Aft of the bridge above the hanger, have radar emplacements instead.

This ship seems to change with every new photo I uncover. I have decided to model the ship as shown here. I may even take a stab at the cool doors along the hull.

Now to my first impressions of the kit. Excellent textures, 8 pages of parts, 1 sheet of instructions and a nice little rendering of the ship to finish off the kit.

I started by laminating all structural parts to 1mm chipboard purchased from hobby lobby. I found the instructions to be a bit vague, none of these structural parts slot together and most have a very similar shape....hard to tell which way they should go....

I was lucky to find a build thread here by the models author? These photo's helped tremendously and in my opinion should be included with the instructions. Pay close attention to the numbers on each part. At the stern of the ship the structures for the helo deck are facing a different direction.

With those 2 photo's I felt confident enough to begin my model. I am fairly new to paper modeling, without slots or notches the parts were quite the fiddly bits. Often found myself wishing for a 3rd hand to help hold, align and glue parts......

I am using a white liquid resign glue called SIG super weld, then I wick some thin CA into the joints for strength.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane_182 View Post

Often found myself wishing for a 3rd hand to help hold, align and glue parts......

A lot of use these for extra hands:
For the Cats
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
There's a good free model on DeviantArt, which comes with options to build at least two Zumwalts - probably the only ones that will ever exist!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Please specify and give us a link to the model ???
Old 06-21-2017, 01:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
from a modelers point of veiw these ships have one advantage.easy to build masts lol
Old 06-21-2017, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Last I heard there was funding for 3 of the class. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt-class_destroyer
Old 08-14-2017, 06:40 PM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
I read with interest to improve my model before release them to public. Thanks for your review.
Google Adsense

Tags
ddg 1000, destroyer, uss zumwalt