PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 06-16-2018, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery

There are some who say "all airliners look alike" (Murph). And since form follows function, and EVERYTHING in the airlines is about efficiency, for the most part that is true. An Airbus looks like a Boeing which looks like an Embraer that might be mistaken for a Sukhoi unless it's that strange new one from China . . . etc. But if there was an airliner beauty contest the Boeing 757 would be a finalist. That thin waist, long legs, two massive engine nacelles, etc, makes it look fast just sitting on the tarmac. And of all the paint schemes applied to the 757, I personally think that the Aurora scheme from IcelandAir has to be one of the most beautiful. Taimodels now has a model of this aircraft available through ECardsmodels.com (https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.ph...per-model.html). More information on this particular aircraft can be found on IcelandAir's web site at https://www.icelandair.com/about/our.../hekla-aurora/

Your $5 gets you 7 A4 size pages. One page is the cover sheet, the others are model parts. No instructions are included, but the model is simple enough that they are not needed except for a complete novice. No tabs or joiner strips are provided. Since the nose parts were so small, I just butt joined them and then glued "flower" strips of paper on the inside to reinforce the seams. I also added some birdshot weights to the nose since the model does have landing gear. I made my own joiner strips for the rest of the fuselage parts. The fuselage parts are on two separate pages, and from the layout their placement is not apparent. The first page has the nose pieces, and two main fuselage sections. The two main sections need to be glued on either end of the main section on the next page. From their placement on the sheet, they look like they should be glued together. The second sheet has the center main fuselage section, along with the tail pieces. Once again, their placement on the sheet makes it looks like they should be glued together but this is wrong. You need to add the section from the first sheet between the tail pieces and the center fuselage section. Since the center fuselage has a constant diameter, I glued the three center pieces together using a joiner strip before I rolled them up into a tube. I used a section of 1 inch PVC pipe to roll the main fuselage around, and to press the glue seams together with.
Attached Thumbnails
IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-page-1.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5535.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5536.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5537.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5538.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2018, 09:43 AM

For the most part, the fuselage graphics looks fantastic. The right side has a few mistakes, the "Hekla" is on the nose is misaligned, and the flag on the aft fuselage is misaligned and facing the wrong way. The door graphics are a little too fuzzy for my likings, but still look better than most models in this scale. The wing to fuselage fairing is composed of three pieces, and fits the fuselage perfectly. I used joiner strips to attach the pieces, and put a cardboard wing profile on the outside before gluing the module to the fuselage. The wings are made from three pieces, and have no ribs or spars. Personally, I would have made the inner and middle wing pieces into one piece in the design and done away with the joint line. Once again, a joiner strip was made to join the parts. The flap fairings are all one size, so the outer two need to be cut down to size before attaching to the underside of the wing. The one major flaw in the model is the engine nacelles mountings. They are both identical, so will need to be trimmed to mate with the left and right wings. If used as presented in the kit, there will be a large gap where it attaches to the wing. They are also white, but should be the light gray color of the wings.
Attached Thumbnails
IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5542.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5543.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5544.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5545-1-.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5546-1-.jpg  

Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Another very nice build, knife. The paint scheme looks great.

Keep up the great work.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
So excited to try building this one! Does it have bulkhead formers?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:22 PM

Yes, it has bulkheads. More update soon.
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looking great so far. Can’t wait to see the finished product. That’s one amazing paint scheme.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:13 PM

The engines are fairly simply affairs. 5 external pieces and 5 internal parts. I made up joiner strips for the external parts. I went ahead and modified the engine support pylons to better match the graphics of the rest of the aircraft.

On to the tail feathers. The kit horizontal stabilizers are a bit plain, so I went ahead and modified them so they are similar to the graphics on the wing. Cardboard was added to the fuselage where the tail surfaces attach to aid in positioning and to provide a more secure joint. The area marked out on the fuselage for the horizontal stabs to attach are much to small, but it doesn't affect anything. Just looks a little strange when the stabs are built up and positioned on the aft fuselage.

Next up are the wheels. They consist of paper struts and drum style tires/tyres. There is a strange shaped piece associated with the nose gear on the parts sheet. A little bit of study and I figured out it folds up into a box like structure to represent the nose gear steering equipment and landing lights. The main gear just has the main strut and the wheels, but is missing the "truck" that connects the wheels to the strut. I went ahead and made up a couple of paper tubes to do the trick.

That completes the parts build, now just have to glue everything together to make it look like an airplane.
Attached Thumbnails
IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5551.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5552.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5548.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5547.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5556.jpg  

Old 06-17-2018, 04:31 PM

And here is how she looks all assembled. I'm also including my corrections sheet should anybody else want to use the parts I modified. The modified parts sheet is an American Letter size sheet, and the model is sent in A4 size so some resizing might be required if you use it. Although the kit has a few flaws, overall I would give it a hearty thumbs up. It builds up to be a nice looking model.
Attached Thumbnails
IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5558.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5559.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5561.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-img_5560.jpg   IcelandAir 757 "Hekla Aurora" Livery-icelandair-757-add-.jpg  

Old 06-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Very nice end result. You did a great job.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
You did the best special livery justice with this model. I never thought I'd see a paper Heckla Aurora because of how complicated the scheme is, but I've been proven wrong. Great work!
Google Adsense