PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 12-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
VOC "Duyfken" 1606 /Seahorse/

Hi,
let me move here Mr Ab Hoving's review on the new model of a new publisher "Seahorse" (kit announcement [N] VOC Duyfken 1606 - 1/2019 Wydawnictwo "Seahorse")

"I like kits, but I am basically a scratch builder. I especially distrust kits of Dutch old ships. This is caused by the fact that the Dutch never made as much good material available to model builders, like for instance the English did, mostly because the Dutch never made plans of their vessels. This results in kitmakers producing fundamentally wrong models.
Making a kit of a replica of an old Dutch ship is a smart solution. The research for the Duyfken was mostly done in the end of the 90s by Nick Birmingham in Fremantle, Western Australia, where the replica was built. I had the honor to be invited to visit the project as an advisor. I spent a wonderful week there.

Eight days after my order the package with the kit was delivered from Poland, which is remarkably shorter than some years ago :-). It consisted of a 14 page booklet with 8 pages of parts and 6 of explanations, both in text (Polish and English) and very clear diagrams.
Apart from the basic kit you can also order blocks, gun barrels and lasercut sheets (3).

The whole package is very well produced with good printing and fine colors. I was especially interested in the inventive way Tomek Weremko, the driving force behind Seahorse, does his planking. Paper kits usually have problems with producing fair lines, often caused by the ribs showing through the planking. We know from his postings here that Tomek has a method of making beautifully fair hulls without any use of filler. He is demonstrating this technique in this kit, which will be an eye-opener for many of us.
The scale is 1/100, which is very small and the builder ends up with a 31 centimeters long model, although the hull is only 25 centimeter. A real challenge for the miniature lovers to build this humble ship, which was the first vessel ever to map parts of North Western Australia early in the 17th century.
I can strongly recommend it!
Ab

Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2020, 11:23 AM

I’m working on Duyfken 1:100 at the moment as well. Being a Dutch modeller I cannot escape from it! I like Tomek’s design very much. Today I finished the second layer of planking; now firstly the constructions of the for and aft castles are on the program.

Last edited by jeanco; 08-19-2020 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 08-20-2020, 12:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Good choice Jaenco. When working on the fore and aft constructions carefully find the right locations for the frames. I think 54/55P?Lc can help you out.
Ab
Old 08-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Hmm, The planking layout looks kinda like a Billings viking ship kit planking layout. Should be fun, if a little repetitive. But I guess thats what its all about,keeping occupied. Have fun.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:42 AM

Could you help me out with a minor problem Ad? It’s the pieces 114. Tomek’s drawing isn’t very clear about it. How exactly do you glue them together to get the fish? Also, it’s a pity the kit doesn’t include the red and blue disks on top of the fishes. Think I can make them myself.
Thanking in advance, Ab! Or Tomek of course...

Last edited by jeanco; 01-05-2021 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Wrong name
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2021, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Hello Jeanco,
I must confess that after I tested Seahorses planking method I ended working on the model, so I think this is a question Tomek has to answer...
Old 01-06-2021, 01:05 PM

Thanks Ad, in the meantime I have contacted Tomek and !’m sure he will help me out.