PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?

I've recently noted the appearance of really high-quality, to the standard of Halinski, models from other publishers. The Modelik Avia BH-5 is one such example. Now it looks like the Orel model of the Mig-9 from 1946 may be another.

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-256_0_.jpg

The likeness to Halinski models quality is noted by Wolfgang Pesek at Kartonbau.de, who just reviewed the model extensively. Please go have a look at the Kartonbau.de Orlik Mig-9 review for high-quality images. I think a few examples here are allowed to spike the interest:

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-mig-9-1.jpg Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-mig-9-2.jpg

Instruction images like these make me very happy to be a paper modeler in this day and age. I also start thinking about what the model would look like in 1/16, with the innards of a small hairdryer installed as a suitable jet engine with a 9 volt rechargeable battery as onboard energy source. Oh, well, hope someone bites...

For those interested in new techniques, here's a new approach to wheel-making, as noted by reviewer Wolfgang Pesek:

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-mig-9-3.jpg Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-mig-9-4.jpg

All those crescent-shaped parts at the bottom of the left image will go together to form the wheel in the right image. Interesting...

Orel's own website at Papermodeling.net hasn't got any details for the Mig-9 yet, and neither has Paper Model Store in the US, who otherwise carries the Orel models. Presumably, PMS will catch up pretty soon. For Europeans, and those who can imagine buying from here, Slawomir Wojcik's Modellservice.de has got it for 9 euros. Slawomir simply is the best guy ever for East European models!

From his site you can also learn that the name of the designer is Wjatscheslaw Zajcew. Of further interest is that Orel models has instructions in English (as well as German, in addition to Russian and Polish). According to reviewer Pesek, the language has even been cleaned up, at least in German, so that the "laughing factor" of computer translation is gone.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-20-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
While the MiG-9 is probably not my cuppa tea, I love the idea of using a small hairdryer to replicate the appearance of the flow of hot air out of an aircraft's jet pipes for a better 'in-flight' appearance...I was pondering that problem on the drive home last night and today, the answer is here on PM!!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Rivets Too!

Thanks Leif. I took a good look and the model is impressive. The tires are a new twist though the "tread" strips look fiddly. Now that Pesek has opened the package the question is "will he build it?"...,

+Gil
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The MiG-9 was a clumsy-looking aircraft, but quite historic. It was the first jet aircraft used by the Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force just prior to the Korean War. In his book Red Wings Over the Yalu: China, the Soviet Union, and the Air War in Korea (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2009), Xiaoming Zhang discusses and provides photos of these PLAAF aircraft, which were soon superseded by the MiG-15.

Thanks for letting us know about and providing an assessment of this model, Leif.

Don
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have the Halinski B-239 Buffalo, a model I really, really wanted, and I just saw a build log of that model at one of the Polish forums. Now I'm more intimidated than ever by 'Halinski quality'.
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2010, 01:48 AM

About "Halinski standard"

Chris - please don't be initimidated by the Halinski standard comparison. The intention is quite the opposite. To me Halinski bears connotations of inviting instructions instead of scary ones, "true to scale while still possible to manage if you just do it by the numbers", parts that always fit, and most often high-class weathering and generally beautiful Photoshop work. In fact, putting a Halinski model in the hands of a relative beginner is not bad advice at all! (I should know, since that's how I got into paper modeling.)

You are building an Orlik model, and while I haven't seen that particular one, I have a few of Orlik's models (the Sopwith Triplane, and the twin-engine transport SCHE-2). Now, those are intimidating to me! Beautiful, rich in detail, probably great result, but I am a bit of a loss at how to best approach them.

About hairdryer fan model jet engines

SPJ - glad you liked the tip about the innards of the small diameter hairdryers. If you detach all the heating spirals and other electronics, it turns out the motor runs well on a 9 volt battery, as opposed to the 220-230 volts with the heating spirals still in place:

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-hairdryer_jet_engine-250.jpg

After many years of foraging at various garage sales and flea markets, I've got quite a collection of specimens. The motor unit often comes in a plastic tube which much resembles a jet engine. And in any case, it always has a good fan mounted:

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-hairdryer-collection-250.jpg

At one time I was thinking much on how to install one of the bigger specimens into a 1/16 version of a Jak Flora early jet. Turns out the general proportions were quite similar to that particular generation of an early jet engine:

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-jakflora-fanunit-250.jpg

For the Mig-9 I would recommend one of the smaller units, or even two if you want to be true to scale. If you go for it, I think a doubling in scale to 1/16 is a must.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-21-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.65 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Thanks Leif. I took a good look and the model is impressive. The tires are a new twist though the "tread" strips look fiddly. Now that Pesek has opened the package the question is "will he build it?"...,

+Gil
Hi Gil,

well i will build this kit in the future. It sure has catched my attention as i just love the 40´s and 50´s early jets - no matter from which side of the iron curtain the came.
I have some things to finish before starting this one - but it should happen this year.

regards,
Wolfgang
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Mould for canopy-making already part of the kit

The original reviewer of the kit, Wolfgang Pesek ("Woppy73" over here, didn't know that - a belated welcome Wolfgang!), notes in a further posting at Kartonbau.de that the kit contains one other novelty - namely parts for a mould to make a drawn canopy. Reportedly, this feature was part of one Halinski model (Mi-24 Hind) previously, and Wolfgang expresses a hope that this will become a regular feature of all quality models in the future, when called for.

The mould was there for all of us to see in one of the original instruction images, but it took someone really studying the model to figure out the true meaning of that image:

Mig-9 by Orel - another Halinski quality model?-mig-9-canopy-mould.jpg

Leif
Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
That's a great innovation!! I think Andrew Inwald may have done the same on his Spitfire (not at home so can't check) but that's the only other time I have seen that approach - hopefully this will become the norm for enabling the vac-ing of canopies(as will more paper modellers with not only cut but burned fingers!!)