Model: de Havilland of Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk
Scale: 1/33rd
Publisher: WAK, Kit No. 6/2009
Designer: Roman Cholewiak
Price: Approx. $6.50 USD online from “WAK”, Poland
Available directly from publishers website*
Rating: 2 out of 5 on the “WAK scale of difficulty"

History
The de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk was a post WWII trainer designed as a replacement for the aging de Havilland Tiger Moth. Chipmunks served with the RCAF, RAF, RAAF, and many other air forces around the world. In the RCAF, Chipmunks remained in service from 1948 through 1972. The Chipmunk represents the first true postwar aviation project of de Havilland Canada (according to Wikipedia).

The Kit
As one might expect, even in 1/33rd scale, this is not a very big model. There are only six pages in all, contained in heavy card covers. Front and rear:

Rear inside cover (the inside of the front cover displays identical text in Polish):

Inside are two light paper pages containing the instructions and patterns for wheels, wire parts, etc……

……and four card weight pages of parts:

The link to the WAK website above takes you directly to the model’s page where pictures of a built-up Chipmunk can be found. Also found there is a link for a zip file of errata parts for free download. The model is well designed and looks every bit a DHC Chipmunk. It comes with separate control surfaces, something I appreciate very much, and basic cockpit details (seats, stick, throttles, instrument panels). Extra details include patterns for the brake lines to the wheels, which is a nice touch.

Printing is good with crisp lines and solid colors (if not a bit bright). Fabric surfaces are given a textured look which is subtle and well done. Included is a nice large swatch of the main yellow color, very useful to the modeler for repairing, patching, and/or scratch building parts for the model. I also like the shading of the internal former parts. It makes them stand out and easier to know what’s a part and what’s outside paper space, sometimes not so obvious when these parts are just outlines. Also, it’s interesting that these parts are printed on the heavy card of the kit’s other parts. Usually, internal structural parts are reserved for printing on the lighter paper weights since they are intended to be laminated to heavier stock (as these parts are). If I had to guess, I’d say, due to the small number of parts, it made economical sense to print all parts on the same weight card.

As a small “nitpick”, to my eye, the Canadian “Silver Maple Leaf” national insignia on the wings is a bit off in proportion with the blue ring a tad too narrow:

The codes seem to be a bit “anemic” as well and could benefit from a little bolding. Also, as was pointed out elsewhere on this forum, it appears that Canadian Chipmunks more commonly sported the clear bubble canopy, the framed “birdcage” enclosure included in the kit used by RAF machines. But that shouldn't be a stumbling block for the more intrepid modeler who may wish to mold his own bubble canopy.

Being that the model is very simple in construction, but follows the same methods found in more complex kits, just like it’s subject matter, this kit would be an excellent “trainer” for a modeler wishing to hone their skill and work up to more complex and detailed models in the future. Recommended.

Some links for further reading:

deHavilland CT-120 CHIPMUNK
DHC-1 Chipmunk Club
Kiwi Aircraft Images : DHC-1 Chipmunk

This link is to the website of a book about Chipmunks that came out last year, with a PDF sample included. A bit pricey, but if you like DHC-1 Chipmunks, this book looks to be something worth adding to your library.

Mike

*I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I found ordering from the WAK website to be quick and painless. Their order system is easy to use and very efficient, and receipt of my kits was around three weeks to the U.S. when choosing the "Airmail" option. They take PayPal too.

Last edited by Bomarc; 08-25-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Excellent! Thank you very much for this exemplary effort, Mike! - L.