PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Knife's Projects

Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
I am really impressed with the figure that is in your working papers. It gives you some idea of the actual size of these vessels.

Joe
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
The CSS Arkansas, at 165' in length, was one of the smaller ironclads built. Most of the one's CT's working on are in the 250' range. But they look really small compared to the pre-dreadnoughts that came next.

The character also helps me in making sure I'm writing on the correct surface while in "X-Ray" mode. If she is ghosted it tells me to rotate the image until she's normal again.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
The line drawing or "stitching" is how I started doing my USS Hartford model. There may be anther way however. Have you tried using the push/pull button on your bulkheads in combination with your scale button?

In the first sample I have my smallest bulkhead aft in place with my guides for the size of the others.

Then I use the push/pull button to extend the bulkhead lengthwise, then use the scale button to make it the size needed.

To do it right though I should have used the "group" feature for your "map" and superimpose it on your model. To get more bends in the model you can use horizontal lines (decks) as well and scale each part to bend the shape. This is something I am still trying. Of course the more decks and bulkheads you have the more accurate your model will be.

Just a thought.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-1pic.jpg   CSS Arkansas-2pic.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 PM

The problem with the Arkansas is the hull first bulges out below the waterline before tapering inward to the keel. I will figure out an easier way, just need to figure out the cleaver way to do it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Slow but steady progress on the CSS Arkansas. I spend a lot of time trying to get everything flat so the texture will "take" onto the surfaces. There's a lot of trial and error (mostly error) learning going on, so my next project should go smoother. I threw too many lines onto the model in the beginning, and I'm paying for it now when I try to flatten the design out. I'm learning the devil is in the detail, lines only one pixel off won't combine and the program will treat every line as an independent item. I'm concentrating on getting a waterline 1/250 scale model out just to have something to show for my efforts. Then I will tackle the full hull version and a larger (1/93 or 1/87 or 1/72 size) version. I'm using the Cottage Industries model as inspiration, but I'm changing the bow deck to match the plans I have.There will be a windlas on the fore and aft deck, and a wooden structure for the anchor chains to run over on the fore deck. I'm also changing the direction of the front and back casemate walls' railroad track armor from vertical to horizontal. This is based on my opinion that rebel forces rushing to finish an ironclad would go with the design that would minimize the number of pieces and cuts required. Also, as an engineer, it would be stronger if riveted to the main structural timbers rather than a bracket, and the only way to do that would be to lay it horizontally.

I took a quick picture so you can see the size comparison between the Arkansas and the CSS Columbus and the CSS Wilmington, all projects on my building board. The white sections on the Arkansas's casemate are the areas that I haven't yet been able to flatten properly so the texture doesn't export. The first photo shows page one of the parts sheet, notice I have restricted the work area to allow the model to be printed on both American standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper and the World standard A4 size paper.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-sheet-1b-qpr.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6909.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This has been an interesting project to follow and I have learned a lot.

That's a fine little flotilla you have uner construction.

Don
Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Thanks Don, I'm learning a lot too.

I discovered two (actually three) plugins that seems to solve my problem of textures not attaching to surfaces. The problem is that when I use the unfold plugin, there's still some curl to the surfaces. Textures will only go on totally flat surfaces. The solution is to project the unfolded parts onto a flat plane. To do that, I did the following steps:

1. Join Sketchucation group at SketchUcation
2. Download and unzip WorkPlane.rp from View topic - [Plugin] Work Plane v2.3 • SketchUcation Community Forums into your sketchup/plugin directory. This will allow you to make a new plane anywhere on the sketchup window.
3. Download and unzip FlattenToPlane.rp from View topic - Re: [Plugin] Flatten to Plane v1.2 20101023 • SketchUcation Community Forums into your sketchup/plugin directory. This will allow you to project all the lines from a selected item onto the work planes.

When you start Google Sketchup, you will find a new item in your Tools drop down menu, WorkPlanes. Follow the prompts to make a new workplane in a clean part of the Top View window. Then select the item you need flattened and drag it on top of the new workplane. Select the complete workplane with the item and select "Flatten to Plane" from the Plugins drop down menu. A new group will be formed on the workplane. Drag the original item off the workplane and delete it so you won't get confused which item is which. You will be left with a single grouped item on the workplane. Select the group item, then right click and chose the "explode" option. This returns the grouped single item into it's individual lines, and everything is on a single Z plane. I then selected all the individual items and drag them back to where I want them on the Top view window.

The third plugin that I found useful is 2dTools from View topic - [Plugin] 2D Tools v5.0 20100927 • SketchUcation Community Forums. This adds a new item in your Draw drop down menu, "2d Tools. This gives you 14 drawing tools that will stay on a constant plane. No more drawing a straight line in Top or Left or Front view, only to find it's a diagonal in another view.

I'm also working on some extra parts to allow a battle damaged version.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Knife,

I'm really enjoying this thread and learning a lot. Hopefully, I'll have a free moment during the holidays and between your thread and Corey's I can get something going. This last post appears quite helpful.

As for your project: I really look forward to seeing more. I can see your frustrations here and there, but your last pictures are quite impressive. Keep up the great work. This will be worth it.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2010, 06:14 AM

Thanks, Paperwarrior. Here's a few shots of a quick build-up to test fit issues. It printed out slightly smaller than planned, it's probably about 1/275 scale. On the positive side, the gunports lined up with the gun placements on the gun deck, and the internal formers aligned well with the base and gun deck pieces. On the negative side, the casemate top is too long, pushing the fore and aft casemate sides too far towards their respective ends. Also discovered that at this scale, very little detail works get translated onto the final product. Things like rivet details totally disappear, and small parts such as viewing port sides are totally impractical to make and install. Next I will print out a 1/72 scale version to make some fine adjustment to pieces, since at the larger scale it will build more accurately (cutting errors are smaller in larger scales).

Thinking ahead, various images of the Arkansas (all illustrations, no photos) show three different designs for the gunport covers. To cover all bases, I'm going to include all three designs (pivoting, split-port, and single piece flap door) in the final kit.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-100_6911.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6912.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6914.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6915.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6917.jpg  

Old 11-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Today I printed out a double size (1/125 scale) model to see how the details will upsize. Primarily wanted to see how the windlass and bow area build up. One thing to note, doubling the size squares the volume, so this version is huge compared to the original model. I'm happy with the windlass, but it might turn into a cut-down q-tip on the smaller model. It is made from six parts, and to make it in 1/250 scale would require the skills of Chiawatkom, something that I do not have.

Another thing I wanted to check was how the different gunport covers look like. Paintings of the Arkansas show:
1. No gunport covers on the bow and stern chaser guns and split covers on the broadside guns, or
2. Split gunport covers on the broadside guns and single flap style on the chasers, or
3. Pivoting single piece covers on all gunports.
4. Split gunport covers on all gunports.

With an operational lifespan of 23 days I doubt she had a chance to have her gunport covers by anything other than Union cannonballs, so I'm just going to throw enough different pieces in to make any kind of covers.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-arkansas-model1.jpg   CSS Arkansas-arkansasbowquateriso.jpg   CSS Arkansas-h61912k.jpg   CSS Arkansas-css-arkansas.jpg  
Google Adsense