PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Knife's Projects

Old 11-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Somehow the word "modified" disappeared from the last sentence in the above post, please insert it after the word "covers".

Anyway, here are the photos of the larger build. The rust texture used on the casemate top will be toned down on the final version. The side armor color was picked off a railroad graphic found on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-100_6919.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6920.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6922.jpg   CSS Arkansas-2160360_rusty_nosh_1.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Today I printed out a double size (1/125 scale) model to see how the details will upsize. Primarily wanted to see how the windlass and bow area build up. One thing to note, doubling the size squares the volume, so this version is huge compared to the original model. I'm happy with the windlass, but it might turn into a cut-down q-tip on the smaller model. It is made from six parts, and to make it in 1/250 scale would require the skills of Chiawatkom, something that I do not have.
You know...it'd only take one more enlargement to bring it in at 1/72 and then that ol' winch won't be so pesky after all....
Old 11-26-2010, 05:42 PM

I think my final versions will be:

1/72, easy to detail and figures are easily available. Will include interior walls and details
1/87, matches up with Revell's plastic models of the USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama
1/200 for those that like this scale, and
1/250 to match Corey's and Avery's ironclad models.

Once the parts are designed, it's only a question of how to arrange them on a sheet of paper for the various scales. And to think of all that time wasted in High School shop class learning how to draw with T-squares and triangles. Not to mention my slide-rule skills.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
WOW! I have been otherwise occupied and havent been able to check in but I must say you have some great work here and doing a great job of telling what you are doing to help others!
Rock on!
Chris
Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
1/87, matches up with Revell's plastic models of the USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama
I think the Revell large scale ships, e.g. Alabama, Kearsage and Constitution are 1/96?
Google Adsense
Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Good catch, I just checked and they are 1/96 scale. I just forgot that since I bought them about 30 years ago. I guess memory IS the second thing to go as you age.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I forget what the first thing is to go
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM

For SJPONeill, here's some shots of the 1/72 scale model. I still need to punch some holes in the bow for the anchor and mooring lines. I got the two 8" Columbiads designed for the bow guns. This is just a quick mock-up to get some idea of how it all looks and fits together. Next design challenge will be the two Brooke Rifles for the stern guns.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-100_6925.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6931.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_6932.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the preview, Knife...that's looking pretty damn good to me...
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
I am looking forward to the 1/72 scale model since maybe my chubby fingers will work ok at that scale. I have attempted CTs 1/72 Mounted Brookes gun a couple of times and experienced relative success. Relative to a newbie is not to the level that alot of ya'll on this site accomplish in 1/250 ironclads.
Google Adsense