PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > Looking For People or Clubs

Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Western Australia ??

Our local mega model store tells me they have no knowledge of Paper modelling at all.
Can that be true ?
Perth is a big place with nearly 2 million people, and I find it hard to believe there are no outlets for this part of the modelling hobby.
So is there anybody out there ?
Cheers
Keith
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Keith,
The US is a barren wasteland (for the most part) too when it comes to paper modelling. Some of our mid-western guys are lucky enough to have a decent group and resources but the North-East is like being sent to Siberia as far as paper modelers are concerned. I feel your pain.

Greetings,
Phil
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Keith, I've been told that paper modeling is one of the oldest forms of modeling in the world. We live in an age where many people need instant gratification, they want a model airplane, but they don't want to spend much time building it. I bet your "Mega-Hobby Shop" is full of die-cast models, all you got to do is take 'em out of the box. That's probably one reason why they've never heard of paper models.
Fortunately you found this forum, I'm positive that we have some Australians on board who would love to communicate with you, maybe even one or two in Perth.
Good luck, and welcome to Paper Modelers.

Bob
Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Apart from possibly one or two '3D' models in bookshops I don't know of any down under physical or online retailer of paper models. I think that most of us down here rely on downloadable models or the online shops in Europe to feed our need...
Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Colpar Hobbies in Denver, Colorado carried them when I lived there. Not a huge selection, but enough to get someone started, but I haven't been there in several years

I saw several in a bookstore/Gift shop in Canberra, Australia in 1996, but they've probably been sold by now.

I've traveled all over the US & Canada and saw a couple in Edmonton, Canada about 10 years ago. Otherwise nothing much else.

Problem is if the store doesn't have a built kit on display, people don't know what to make of them and can't imagine what they'd be buying......WHAT?? You want $10 dollars, pounds, pesos, bucks for a stack of paper and I can build replica of "whatever" you can imagine. ARE YOU CARZY MAN????

I think display is a major problem for this hobby.

I'm done.

SFX
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Apart from possibly one or two '3D' models in bookshops I don't know of any down under physical or online retailer of paper models. I think that most of us down here rely on downloadable models or the online shops in Europe to feed our need...
there was a hint last year that hmv were possibly setting up a distributor in oz but i have not heard any more on it/perhaps someone should email them
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
there is from time to time a trader on trademe that has gpm kits availible.very small range,mostly ships and not cheap
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
there is from time to time a trader on trademe that has gpm kits availible.very small range,mostly ships and not cheap
I was tempted there a few times but have found that the overseas suppliers like GPM, Orlik, and KARTONMODELLSHOP are less expensive (including postage) and not much slower in delivery (7-10 days usually)...still I aim to focus more on building than buying for now...
Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I was tempted there a few times but have found that the overseas suppliers like GPM, Orlik, and KARTONMODELLSHOP are less expensive (including postage) and not much slower in delivery (7-10 days usually)...still I aim to focus more on building than buying for now...
yep me to.i bought one gpm kit from them awhile back before i got into ordering from overseas.did not work out a good buy
Old 03-04-2015, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithscossie View Post
Our local mega model store tells me they have no knowledge of Paper modelling at all.
Can that be true ?
Perth is a big place with nearly 2 million people, and I find it hard to believe there are no outlets for this part of the modelling hobby.
So is there anybody out there ?
Cheers
Keith
The East Coast of Australia is exactly the same - no retail outlets carry papermodels. The best and only option is online - avoid everything on alibaba
- it's mostly pirated crap.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense