PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
tail plane

Have glued up part of the fuselage, and added and rigged the tailplane. You can see where I put a piece of wood against the former, so I would be able to snug up the wires that ran into the body. Makes it easier to get them tight, when I can pull them through and tie them off to something. The wires are .005 nylon leader line. I like it because of the no "fuzz" factor, and it doesn't curl up coming off the spool. Was painted silver, by putting a drop of Chrome Silver on a piece of tile, and then dragging the wire through the paint while I held it down on the drop with my finger.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-002.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-005.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-007.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-009.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-010.jpg  

Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-012.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun24-011.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun25.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Some great techniques, Peter! I like that "earth tones" color scheme and your work is very clean and precise.

Don
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm learning a lot from this competition! Thanks for illustrating this technique, Peter. It sets off your fine modeling very well indeed!
Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 PM

wings & cowling

Thanks guys.. Chris your right about learning from these builds. Picking up a lot of useful tips/ideas from checking what others are doing.

You can see that I've cut out the parts for the wing, and have made up the cowling. Tedious work cutting out the parts, plus opening up holes for cooling without ruining the pieces. Light coat of Future sprayed on this to help hold it together, and also since it's a metal cowling, I wanted to give it a different look than the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun26-003.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun26-004.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun26-006.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun26-008.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice cowl!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Precision work! Excellent metal effect.

Don
Old 05-02-2009, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
... and no inner layer. That takes some time & effort! - L.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Peter,
That's a great idea to use Future to strenthen areas, that when cut out will be extreemly weak. I've got a number of parts I've been wondering how to cut up and still have something there when finished. This gives me some hope of accomplishing that. Now some questions on this.

You didn't say what kind of printer you used to print this kit out. I'm assuming it was an ink jet. If so did you have to seal the printed sheets in order to use Future on them? I'm thinking that in a home printed kit, spraying Future on the parts would cause the ink to start running. Are you using an air brush to spray on these light coats of Future? Would putting on very light coats of Future negate having to seal the paper to keep the ink from running? My problem is I have no air brush nor do I have the ability to purchase one where I live at this time. I'm pretty much forced to use the crude method of a paint brush to put on coats of Future. Any ideas on this? Thanks and also thanks for your build report.

Phil
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 AM

Thanks all for the comments...
Phil.. yes I have an ink jet "Canon Pixma ip4200".. Models that I print out myself I use a cheap water based hair spray that I pick up at the local market . A few light coats and it seems to work ok, as I've had no problems (plus now my hair looks wonderful ).. Yes I use an airbrush for spaying the Future, and I could use it as a pre-coat, but the hairspray is quicker and it saves me having to set up and then clean the airbrush. Usually I have a couple of projects going, and I like to get a couple of things to a point where I can spray all of them. I have another pistol, plus an anime figure in progress ..

I haven't brushed Future on, but I think others on the list have with good results. What I would do is experiment on something before applying it to a model that you've put a lot of time into.. Hope this helps, and post the results if you do.
Cheers..
Old 05-02-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
... and no inner layer. That takes some time & effort! - L.
Your right about that Leif.. Over an hour just stepping it around a little at a time. I figure if I had used the inner layer, there was no way I was going to be able to cut out those holes and have it look right. I'm still going to dry brush a coat of aluminum on the inside of the piece to make it look better.
Google Adsense