PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI

I'm also jumping in on this group build with this Morane Saulnier. 3 pages of parts, w/ 2 pages of diagrams.
Have always liked these early single wing/parasol fighters. Printed out at "scaled printing/fit to page", for my letter size stock. So it'll be slightly smaller than 1/33. It'll be interesting to see if I run into any fit problems for doing so. Nice graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-ms-french.jpg   Marek Marathon:Morane Saulnier AI-sun14-002.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 04-16-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good luck on that, Peter. I printed the PZL P-50 out at full size (no scaling), meaning each page of parts required at least two sheets (usually three) of letter-size paper to one of everything. Sure would be nice to find a local source of A4 card stock.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
Not to be a pest, but that's a Morane-Saulnier AI, not A1. Pet peeve of mine. There were three variations of it - the single gun MoS 27.C.1 (which I thought Shaffer's was, but I might be wrong), the twin gun MoS 29.C.1 and the unarmed MoS 30.E.1 trainer. It's always been one of my favorites; I've got an idea I'd like to repaint one of these as Nungesser's post-war F-NUNG someday:

Then again, I have LOTS of ideas.

Carry on.

Last edited by EricGoedkoop; 04-16-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM

Hi Chris.. I sort of wanted to see how this would work with the "fit to page" . We'll find out quick enough if it'll work.... Just got finished gluing up the parts that go on thicker stock. Like you said, would have been nice to have them all on one page.

Eric.. Thanks for the clarification. I actually had "AI" at first and then changed it. Too late now......... Great photo.

I'm hoping to see a lot more build threads regarding the "Marek Marathon".......
Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Thanks for the info Eric - I will make sure to get it listed right on my site - love that plane too! I will get that to Sergey for a possible repaint

Its my understanding that you can print on legal sized paper at standard size for A4 printing without having to rescale - never done it but I have seen it mentioned. Course I dont know the availability of letter card stock either

Looking forward to the build! The swallows are one of my favorites
Chris
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Lots of struttery to deal with, Peter, but that's a very nice color scheme, in my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

Don
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatcrow2 View Post
Eric.. Thanks for the clarification. I actually had "AI" at first and then changed it.
Frustratingly enough (for me, at least), Old Rhinebeck and Fantasy of Flight both own original AIs and both call them "A1." I've found the error as far back as a January, 1920 writeup in Flight magazine about the previous year's Paris Air Show. Maybe that's where it started.

Don't mean to take this off on a silly tangent. It'd be best to not get me started on forward decks, gun fairings and bracing wires - I've been chasing those monkeys for years. This is the reason I hardly ever manage to finish a model . . . .

OK, I can't resist and I'm going to justify the geek-out nitpick that's about to happen on the grounds that it'll make Peter's life a little easier and give him a few less difficult things to do.

I see the diagrams for this model show crossed bracing wires between the forward cabanes as well a set of flying wires terminating midway between the outboard lift struts and the intermediate N-shaped ones. I'm pretty confident - confident enough to bring it up, anyway - that these features were only found on the unarmed MoS 30 variant and are incorrect for either the 27 or 29.

There should, on the other hand, be a Sopwith Camel-type humped fairing over the gun breeches, but bringing that up isn't going to help anyone.

And none of this helps Chris get his pictures, so I'll hush up about it now. I certainly don't mean to detract from the model; in fact nearly all of the published information I've seen on this aircraft seems to be somewhat incorrect so I can't fault the designer.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Last edited by EricGoedkoop; 04-16-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: If she weren't so pretty, I wouldn't care so much.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM

Eric..

I have no problems with you jumping in with as much input as you seem fit. I think it's great to be finding out all this info.. Do you have a diagram or photo on how you think the rigging would be on this? Believe me, you would have to try a lot harder to be a nuisance.... I'm already having a lot of fun with this, and I haven't cut out anything. And here I thought this was going to be a "simple" little parasol fighter....

Cheers..
Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM

Memorial Flight in France has a restored and flying 29, and lots of photos on their website. I think they have it right. Compare the rigging on this aircraft to the F-NUNG Type 30 (also in France) and you'll see what I'm talking about. Historic photos of these aircraft are not thick on the ground, but what I've been able to find agrees with my theory.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatcrow2 View Post
And here I thought this was going to be a "simple" little parasol fighter....
It is, and for Chris' purpose I would just build it as designed. Morane-Saulniers are just one of my special interests. The AI was really one of the best and most advanced designs of the war, but suffered from a prejudice of the time against monoplanes and the notorious unreliability of the 160hp Gnome engine. Rumors of structural weakness would appear to be disproved by the looping records set by Joyce and Fronval after the war in this type, as well as the fact that Nungesser used his for aerobatic displays. I think the lack of correct information regarding the rigging and forward deck details stems from the Type 30 being produced in far greater numbers than the 27 and 29. Of the surviving examples, I believe all but Memorial Flight's are actually 30s.
Google Adsense