PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yu-sama: I would like to see what you would do with a 1/50 airplane. I put the macron over the "o" by doing the write up in Word and then cutting and pasting it to the thread posting.

Chris: Having seen your Lysander, I recognize that you need no build comments from me -- but, then, I already knew that.

Only a little progress this evening: to paraphrase a superannuated Navy captain I know: "Shoki got tails."

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-09.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Looking very clean and neat... I like that cool jig that you made up to sit the model in. Not only useful, but a nice way of showing it in build up photos.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Don, from what I can see of it, I love your workplace. Always longed for a distinguished desk like that with a limited assortment of essential tools. But then I would have to build small, like you. And the cradle is very nice, like Peter said. - L.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks nice - and pretty funny that your 1/50 Shoki has a better engine than mine does
Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Don, from what I can see of it, I love your workplace. Always longed for a distinguished desk like that with a limited assortment of essential tools.
Don-sama,
Having seen your Japanese tea cup I bought similar one yesterday to put tools in And thank you for telling me the input method but on reflection, I should have copied the letter you input:(
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 AM

Thanks, Peter. I've learned a lot of techniques from your build threads.

Dan: There certainly are some differences in the quality of the art work between this little Marek model and the MM Shoki I sent you. That's why the "early MM" builds are such a challenge.

Leif: Actually, my ideal of a perfect workspace comes from pouring over your photos in other forums when you were building 1/87 models and constructing your own little boxes of drawers and other accoutrements for model building.

Yu-sama: I look forward to seeing your tea cup . . . and everything else that you post. I wish I had a fraction of the model building skill and precision that is reflected in all your models.

No real progress last night. I have had some problems putting the canopy together. Fortunately for me, this model does not come with an interior, so I did not even have to consider cutting out canopy frames and building a see-through canopy. I have had enough trouble just getting the canopy pieces to fit together cleanly and in capturing the unique shape of the Shoki canopy. Tonight, I will print out another one and make another try.

So for now, I present a couple of shots as I try to figure out how the wings will attach to the fuselage. I hope for more progress, a start on the next 1/50 Shoki, and even some work on my Old Toddlea Contest Shiden this weekend.

My scheme is to build the three Marek Shokis (if no one else gets dibs on them first) and then, this summer after the contest is over, try building the simple version of the GreMir Shoki in 1/50 scale.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-10.jpg   Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-11a.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM

Your photos they are very good. I think you might find now when you put the front of the wing in place it needs a shelf or ledge on the wing to rest the front part so it is flush. I will glue this front piece in place before I fold the wing, and then glue the front joint lastly (at least on LaGG).
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks for this advice, Lala. I hope you will post a photo in your LaGG build thread showing this. I will hold off on attaching the wing until I see your method.

I am planning to glue folded pieces of paper along the trailing edge before gluing those edges (something I learned from Allan Wheeler, although I think it is a wide-spread practice).

There is also a compound curvature where the undercarriage wheels tuck up into the wings and I need to work that out before reaching for the glue bottle.

Don
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Don-sama, your airplane is coming along swimmingly. I'm starting a La-5fn for the contest, well, it has been printed. I was thinking it might be a good work project, small, portable, but looking at it I want to start cutting..
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Your build looks really great Don. I really like the paint on this one. Did matching up all those camo blobs spanning sections prove challenging?

BTW - your new avatar photo seems to have a softer focus than Don the younger.
Google Adsense