PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
ohh! this plane is very nice and the propeller looks real... no wait, is it wood or paper? well, if it's paper I'm doubly astonished!
sorry to hear about the incident. fortunately there's no four legged walking here, except me under the table searcing for little pieces I know I won't find for sure! (I belive there's a small black hole under the desk of every respectablepapermodeler).
about your model and fixatives, I've a question but I read Maj. Davenport just hit the thing. I don't want to bother this thread so if you know a specific thread or a section here in the forum where I can find out some information about fixatives etc. thanx!!! :D
Thanks for the positive comments, the prop blades are paper made using the parts from the kit. I emboss the edges to cup them over so the back and front meet edge-to-edge as opposed to flat (if that makes any sense, if not I'll do a tutorial) then I flatten the inside leading edge.

some different views on fixatives can be found here
what is the best way to preserve paper models for years to come ? <~ link

Thats odd I seem to have a blackhole under my work table as well. That is one of the reasons I scan all my printed kits before I start building.

~ happy building
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Well ya know.............

it was a Pup....... she was just jealous that you were spending too much time with the "dog"! :p

I love the Pup......... you've done a great job (again). If it wasn't for the not so famous Sopwith, Fokker could have won the war for the Germans with his mono-plane.

Check out Gil's and Lief's tutorials on laminated paper props.......... not that yours looks bad or anything. (maybe a solid prop will stand up better to 'teh debil'

john

My Drawings
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks John.

You might be right about her being jealous. I know its hard to believe but she is a mostly Siamese. I have studied Gil and Lief's laminated props very closely. As I do all their groundbreaking innovations. Frankly I am just not up to it at this point. Plus I have four other builds going and one scratch build/design. Soon though just have to find the right model, perhaps an early monoplane.

If you look closely you will see one of her paws is off the ground. She actually waves at you with that paw. I have been trying for years to get a picture of her doing it but, this is the closest I have gotten. She also plays dead, and rolls over. Eating models is a trick I can live without.

Last edited by B-Manic; 07-29-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The second build looks good, as did the first. I do like your cat too! I just don't allow any cats in my studio at all. Too many delicate things and too much poisonous stuff for them to get into.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
The second build looks good, as did the first. I do like your cat too! I just don't allow any cats in my studio at all. Too many delicate things and too much poisonous stuff for them to get into.
Thanks Jim. I dont' have a studio in my condo but I normally put all my modelling stuf away in a designated cabinet when I am finished with it.

The point about poisonous stuff is well taken. Some of the things we modellers use are dangerous to pets, children and even adults.

***** We should all be taking precautions to ensure that our enjoyment of our hobby does not lead to misery for another *****
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice Sopwith Douglas! Looks great.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Thanks for the positive comments, the prop blades are paper made using the parts from the kit. I emboss the edges to cup them over so the back and front meet edge-to-edge as opposed to flat (if that makes any sense, if not I'll do a tutorial) then I flatten the inside leading edge.

some different views on fixatives can be found here
what is the best way to preserve paper models for years to come ? <~ link

Thats odd I seem to have a blackhole under my work table as well. That is one of the reasons I scan all my printed kits before I start building.

~ happy building
thanx!!! :D
Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Both wings done, lowers attached. You can really see how the pup's large, thin wings allowed it to literally fly circles around any other fighter aircraft of the period.
Attached Thumbnails
Sopwith Pup - Little-sopwithpup0.jpg   Sopwith Pup - Little-sopwithpup.jpg  

Last edited by B-Manic; 08-02-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This second build has gone very quickly, Douglas. The Pup has to be one of the most appealing aircraft ever built. It just looks right from every angle and your model with the subdued brown and grey color scheme is very pretty indeed.

The photo of Dunning landing aboard Furious is a classic -- with the matelots reaching out to grab the airplane!

Don
Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Looking real good Douglas... Great photo of the Naval Pup.
Google Adsense