PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Keds_Girl_Lala,
You are partially correct
Serial production aircraft supposed to have folding wings to allow storage of the plane in caves and were to be armed with bombs. Plane was not built as a suicide aircraft, but at this stage of the war every plane could end up as a suicide weapon....
The only completed prototype had no folding wings, no shackle points for bombs and it was painted dark green/light gray.
Kikka was able to take off under it's own power and that's how the first flight was performed. For the second test flight RATO units were added, but they miscalculated the allignment which led to aborted take off (pilot didn't know if they fired or not and shut off both engines). This led to damage when plane run out off runway....
There is a nice collection of Kikka photos here Rod's WarBirds
Plane at the Smithsonian is patched from examples found in the factory and I think they also have the engines, but they never installed them. maybe one day Kikka will get full treatment like Seiran did...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM

Dan,
Now we have confirmation that Answer messed up the printed version and the lasercut formers....
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
Dan,
Now we have confirmation that Answer messed up the printed version and the lasercut formers....
That's what I thought based on your pictures on zealot. Even the small amount outside the lines I cut doesn't make up the slack you experienced versus how mine fit. Also thanks for the pictures, I had not found some of those yet - more inspiration
As far as build notes - note the 2 small holes (made using my cheapo Japanese hole punch) rather than cutting circles. As has been noted elsewhere, this allows one to grab the former with tweezers and 'spin' it as needed before gluing. Since I'm probably going to butt glue the plane, the former will be glued infinitesimally inside the fuselage section, with the plan being that the 2 sections will edge glue to each other, but a healthy dose of glue on the formers will fill the gap and give a nice glued surface to keep the sections together as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM

I prefer to have a bigger opening in the former so I can stick my finger inside to turn the former and this also allows me to push it into position from the inside, but as long as it works, any method is fine :D
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Aviation Moderator

Well, since it's topical and I know we love pictures and we love tools - I'll post a picture of a set of tools I picked up for like $10 at a hobby store that help with what Mike is discussing for formers. The straight 'pick' gets used the most, I use it to punch for marking score lines on the back of models, but it also fits through the holes in the formers to the next former to push it into place if needed. But the other ones can be used to grab and pull the former to you. They also came in handy working on the small amount of rigging on the GeeBee racer I did, as well as generally allowing you to get to places you otherwise have trouble with.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-tools-5-5-09.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Aviation Moderator

Mike (or anybody else who may be able to help) - there's a handle piece in the cockpit that doesn't seem to have a clear demarcation of where it goes - part #21. I don't see it in Mike's build. Any ideas where it might go?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Black dot on part 31. I'm guessing here but it looks like part 21 belongs there.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Aviation Moderator

Some pictures of the cockpit before I close her up. I decided that part 21 doesn't have a home and will be left off. The art indicates it should go on the black dot on part 31 as Mike suggested - but the panel with the levers on the left of the cockpit covers that area. It's almost as if part 31 art were reversed and the 'paper holder' should be behind the panel and the dot should be on the right and hold part 21. I actually found a build on Konradus where part 21 was glued over the 'paper holder' art. I decided that it won't destroy my model to just leave it out. Real building of the plane comes next
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-3.jpg   Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-4.jpg   Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-5.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
lookin good Dan!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:26 AM

Nice work on the cockpit Dan. Keep the pics coming.
Google Adsense