PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
From time to time, I also would wonder about a certine part go to where but as long as the model looks good like your case I don't care about leaving parts
Old 05-10-2009, 05:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Good start Dan. I know each installment will be its equal

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Thanks guys
In this picture you can see the one 'normal' cone section for the fuselage, and then the pieces to form the sections going forward. There is a lot going on here - former B has to fit into part 1, which happens to be the nose and have the nice conical tip on it. Part B1 has to match B (I've already matched D and D1, sanding them to the correct profile before assembly). Then parts B1, C, D1 and D2 are assembled along with 2, 3, 3a and 3b's to form a single fuselage piece with the nose gear bay. In addition, weight should be added to the top of the frame assembly to make sure the plane will actually stand on the nose gear.
Unfortunately the best way I see making this all work involves me making section 1 (with the dreaded conical point nose) first, fitting former B, matching B and B1, assembling the frame sans C, test fitting parts 2 and 3 to get the correct size of former C (did he take into account the thickness of the joining strip since this is the only one in the kit?) - and then wrapping the frame and putting it all together. So - off to laminate parts 3a and 3b which I missed up front and to work on the dreaded nose. Wish me luck :D
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-6.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good luck! Looks like a real challenge. I read through your description several times and it made my head hurt. Not your word picture, which is crystal clear and easy to follow, but the sequence of tasks that has to be done to make the nose come out correctly.

Don
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Dan,
I understand you perfectly...
There are those models where you get a feeling that EVERYTHING has to be done at the same time in order for the parts to fit each other. It is frustrating, but doable.
I much more preffer to have some solid base from which rest of the model can grow. Fortunately most of the newest models offer just that - build the cockpit, skin it and keep adding segments forward and rearward.
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
Dan,
I understand you perfectly...
There are those models where you get a feeling that EVERYTHING has to be done at the same time in order for the parts to fit each other. It is frustrating, but doable.
I much more preffer to have some solid base from which rest of the model can grow. Fortunately most of the newest models offer just that - build the cockpit, skin it and keep adding segments forward and rearward.
You know, on Kartonbau they have an expression that loosely translates as 'Once you go Halinski you never go back'. I've heard from many who have build them that for all the little detail bits that they really do build very simply. As I work through these other models, I'm really wanting to jump back into the Mustang III and work out the fiddly bits to compare.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Basically all current and more detailed models follow the same basic principle - Halinski is not the only one. But you are absolutely right - when you get used to sturdy fuselage and parts fitting as they should at the first try, going back to older generation kits might be a bit frustrating at times.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Aviation Moderator

Ok - progress pictures. First is a closeup of the nose - the dreaded petal construction. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being worst, 10 being Golden Bear) - I give it a 5.5, with an extra point from the paint job covering it up. The petals didn't quite close up tight for the point (probably due to cutting) and it's a bit flat - but overall I'm not disappointed. The next picture is current status. Former D2 had to be trimmed to make the inside bits of the gear enclosure exactly the same length. Then it had to be lengthened because I didn't measure quite well enough - doh! Next is fitting formers B / B1 and assembling the rest of the frame section.
Oh - and another 'tool' makes it's appearance in the background. It's an old school metal cigar tube. It's actually a multi-task tool. It will hold an exacto knife safely for transport, and it makes an excellent starting tube for rolling parts around.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-7.jpg   Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-8.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good work, Dan. I'd be delighted to have a petal-formed part turn out as well as that.

Don
Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
I agree with Don.. I'd be real happy with that result. Looking good.
Google Adsense