PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Every time I get tense when build petal-formed part.
You did it very nicely
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Next update - the 'frame' section around the nose gear opening is complete, including a couple nuts I found in the garage for weight to try and let her stand on the tripod gear. I've glued the first 2 fuselage sections together, and inserted the frame into the nose piece. I got a bit of a bulge that you can see. I think my Aileen's is drying up - it's pulling more glue onto my toothpick, and then the excess glue seems to loosen the paper up a bit. I don't think it's that bad though once everything goes together. I dry-fit both sections onto the frame piece, and they seem to fit well, a bit longer but only enough so that I 'should' get a nice smooth seam to the front and back pieces (crossing my fingers).
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-09.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Dan,

Aleen's is a water-base glue, so you can thin it out with water if you need to.

Your build is looking good thus far!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Lookms good, Dan!

Don
Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Aviation Moderator

Well, here's the culmination of my efforts so far. Once I uploaded them, I realized I've taken better pictures - but you can see that it's fairly smooth with decent seams. I'm pretty happy with it. There is a small gap on one side of the gear bay, I think I didn't size the middle former down quite enough - but overall I'm satisfied with the results. Now I'm at the point where I need to study diagrams a bit more to make sure I know what I'm doing as I head rearward on the fuselage
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-10.jpg   Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-11.jpg   Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-12.jpg  
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Dan,
Looks good.
If you want a bit better connection between skin segments, take something hard and smooth and delicately run few times over the seam. Card is fairly pliable and you will be able to smoothen them out - dang, I just gave out my secret...
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Dan,
Seams looks smooth.
And I am a lucky one to find Mike's advice that tip isn't even described in my favorite book 'Taming of the Glue' written by Wicoli Shakespaper.
I noted it down
Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good seams, good advice from Mike, good comedy from Yu-sama.

Don
Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
Dan,
...my favorite book 'Taming of the Glue' written by Wicoli Shakespaper.
I noted it down

Nice YuG! Gotta love a sense of humor thrown in!!

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Aviation Moderator

Ok - progress continues. First picture shows all current bits and where they stand. Interestingly I had missed the internal formers for the last fuselage section before the tail (parts 9a and 9b) until I was studying Mike's build of the Answer kit on Zealot just a bit ago. That section as shown has no formers at all glued in yet - I'm actually pretty happy with my pre-shaping as it sits, but since the horizontal stabilizer slides in and sits on that piece, I'm going to put those bits in anyway. I'll also note that as I've gone backwards from the cockpit, I found the formers to fit less well than the front ones - more undersized. I almost think I'd recommend builders to follow Mike's lead and double the formers up ahead of time and add joining strips - since it'd both allow smoother seams and make up for the slightly undersized formers.
Second picture shows a closeup of the joining strips between the fuselage section and the horizontal stabilizer. Specifically these parts overlap at the back given the taper of the section. I'm not sure how necessary the bit is - but I glued the back bits staggered so they would overlap neatly - I think it will all go together well. Picture also shows that I haven't painted the 'score' line yet. Does raise a question, when doing a curved score line, does anybody have a method of scoring the back of the part? I generally score the front and color the score mark, but was wondering what other methods people use.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-13.jpg   Marek Marathon: Nakajima 'Kikka' 1/33-marek-kikka-14.jpg