PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)

So, on to number two...

Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-heinkel-he-51w-cover.jpgThis one is the Heinkel He-51W, a seaplane version of the He-51 fighter. The He-51 was a mediocre fighter, but had more success in the ground attack role. During the Spanish Civil War, it helped develop the ground-air coordination essential to the success of blitzkrieg. You can read more about the He-51 here, including see a picture of the exact aircraft depicted by the Model Cardboard kit.

This particular kit appears to be more detailed than the P-50 Jastrzab; I gather from snippets of conversation here that this is one of Marek's later, more refined designs. The diagrams appear to be more detailed as well, although there are still no instructions. And though there is no weathering, the printing of the kit is sharp, and the coloring is attractive. A nice addition to the kit is a jig for aligning the floats and fuselage -- will be interesting to see how that works out.

This kit might turn out to be a masochist's dream, what with two wings, floats, abundant rigging, and exhaust pipes that have two 90-degree bends. I have started laminating the formers and hope to commence construction early next week.

Onward!
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 PM

While I can't speak to the floats, you'll enjoy this one.

Carl (GB) did a build thread on the Spanish Civil War version over on Zealot back in the day, and I built it about the same time (now that it's been released I don't think I have to shout BETA every time anymore <g>) It was a sweet build and one my favourites to date.

The top wing takes some care to keep it straight, and you WILL need to print the exhaust on bond paper to build them well.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
The top wing takes some care to keep it straight, and you WILL need to print the exhaust on bond paper to build them well.
Duly noted!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm jealous, Chris! I hope to build this one someday as well. I'm still no good at biplanes, but I love the look of this one and I'll be avidly following your efforts here!
Chris
Old 05-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'm looking forward to watching this build
Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
One of my favorite aircraft, so I'll also be following this. Anything like your others, it'll be a beauty...
Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 AM

Just another quick bit. Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-heinkel-he-51w-parts-sheet.jpgHere's a shot (not a great one) of the only sheet of parts I got printed before the printer ran out of ink. :( I bought a new cartridge at store X, but my dear wife promptly chastised me by saying she could get the same cartridge for much less at store Y, so now I'm waiting for her to finish shopping today before I can print the rest (fortunately, I hadn't opened the new cartridge yet). As you can see, the printing is very decent, and unlike the last Marek kit I worked on, all the laminated formers are on separate sheets (yeah!). You can also see that half the sheet is missing, since the page is not scaled to fit US letter-size, so each PDF page requires two sheets for printing (it can be scaled to fit, of course, but then would be smaller than 1/33 scale). I'm also printing this on bright white 110# cover, which is noticeably whiter than card I've used previously, so I'll be interested to see what the overall tone of the finished model looks like.

TTFN,

Last edited by ccoyle; 05-31-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
well that sheet looks good!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quick update...

Have spent two modeling sessions cutting out formers ***YAWN*** A boring, boring task.

I can get away with pre-cutting the formers because most of the them have the part number printed right on them. I keep the cut parts in a baggie for safe keeping. So far I have cut out 46 formers, out of 75 on the first sheet alone, with another page for the floats and a few miscellaneous formers here and there on the other parts sheets. Urgh!

Will post pics when I get to 'real' construction.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Downloaded this little beauty along with three other great kits from ECardmodels just a few min's ago. The detail of this bird is outstanding with clear, crisp art work. Should build into a show stopper. Looking forward to your build.:DRick
Google Adsense

Tags
heinkel he-51w, model cardboard