PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The recent posts brought this excellent and informative thread back to my attention and I enjoyed reading back through it and watching you grapple with the undercarriange and other issues, Shinji.

What is the Haliski build you are working on?

Don
Old 07-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Don,

It's been a while since my last post. The hard drive of my Windows PC crashed soon after I finished my Hien. While I was trying to recover the hard drive, The mother board of my iMac died and I went into total Internet darkness. The Mac is still dead, but at least the Windows PC is back up again. I missed the whole story about the exodus from Z but I had nothing to say about it anyway

I'm working on Halinski Ki-43 Hayabusa (Oscar) which was published in 2001 and now discontinued. It is about 60% finished now, it's got the fuselage, the tail section and the right wing done. I've been buildling this model for almost 5 months and I have no idea when it will be finished. This is my first 1:33 scale, first pre-prented model and first Halinski so I'm kind of pushing my envelope. I don't plan to have a build thread for that, but I will show it to you when it's finished.

Cheers,
Shinji
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (Tony) 1:50-hayabusa1.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Great to hear from you, Shinji. You have my sympathies for the cyber-problems. After years of care-free computer use, I had six consecutive computers shot out from under me at home and at the office. Fortunately, no lost data, but a real nuisance.

That Ki-43 looks great! Even without a build thread, I will be glad to hear anything you can tell me about the model, as I have had one near the top of my to try stack for years. Bill Geoghegan (DrBill) got his to about the same stage as yours some years ago and then got diverted. I also have the GreMir Ki-43 and will probably try that one first. One of the things I would like to do is build the whole series of Nakajima Army fighters (preferably beginning with the Type 91 if a model ever appears) in 1/50 and in 1/33 in paper and in 1/24 in stick and tissue. Progress so far: one 3/4 completed 1/50 Ki-44 and one nearly completed 1/24 stick and tissue Ki-43 (plus one ~1/100 Ki-44 via Trotskiy-san). The wheel of Boose's model production grinds exceedingly slowly and it grinds exceedingly coarse, but it does, occasionally, grind.

Meanwhile, I like your choice of models and look forward to seeing more.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 07-25-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error to prevent admonition from Texman.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 AM

Thanks, Don. And I wish your success with your Nakajima Army fighter collection. It's a great idea that I never thought about. It would be awesome if you have them lined up from Type 91 to Ki-84 Hayate!

Although I have a lot of WWII Japanese fighters in my to-do list, I might build something different after finishing my Hayabusa. Me262 or even F-22A Raptor...I haven't decided yet.

Shinji
Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I WANT BUILD THREAD OF THE HAYABUSA!!!!!
:D
It really looks great from what I can see and it would be a shame to hide all this excellent work you put into this beautiful plane.
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 AM

Wow! great looking HAYABUSA.
To create an atomosphere I've downloaded "Kato Hayabusa Fighter Wing" from youtube and reading series of postings with the music as BGM YouTube - ?????? -Kato Hayabusa Fighter Wing-
Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Michael,

Actually, I keep record of the build process from the beginning this time. The Halinski model is quite challenging for me and I'm not happy with what it turned out in some details (my fault). The build thread of your Hayabusa (in Zealot, I believe) was very helpful, but some of the pictures seem to have lost from there. So maybe I could start a new thread with the pictures I took (for anyone who might be interested) and leave it until I make any progress. I will go on a vacation and go offline (again) this week. I will start a thread after I come back.

Yu-san,

Thanks for pointing me to the great video. Although I'm not a type of guy who get motivated by military songs, the footage in the YouTube video is quite interesting. I believe that it came from the 1944 movie with the same title as the song itself. They fly real Hayabusas and P-40s with some convincing-enough SFXs. The snap roll is really jaw-dropping. If I remember correctly, the real Ki-61 Hiens of 244th Sentai were also filmed in a feature movie during the war. I haven't seen the movie and I don't remember what the title was.

Cheers,
Shinji
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Lines up on a P-40B , but a Hurricane explodes. There is also a Brewster Buffalo at 3:00 or so in front of the the bombed hangars.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
This thread is quite old, but I just read and enjoyed it from start to finish. Real pity Rufous seems to have gone from this forum!
Building: Cavalier Mustang chase plane by David Winfield, 1:33
Not a native english Speaker. Thus, constructive criticism is always welcome!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:32 AM

Yes. I miss Shinji, and I also miss Shrike terribly. A great model builder and aviation historian. I think he has devoted his attention to restoring full-sized aircraft.

Of the other people on this page, Mike Krol is still going strong running GreMir models, and Master Yu Gyokubun still shows up from time to time. Both are superb model builders.

Don
Google Adsense