PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1

This
is what I use Don - it's made specifically to turn wheels in a dremel - albeit wood ones.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Dan. Being a grandfather of Cub Scouts, I have one of those. I had thought it would be too big for a 1/50 wheel, but maybe not. I will give it a try. Don
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I've found it's slightly big even on a few 1/33 wheels - but I just fill in the hole when I'm done. For the GeeBee, I wanted the wheels to spin, so I used a piece of plastic tubing (specifically a paint brush cover cut up) as an insert, and that allowed the wire to go through and the wheel to spin.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 AM

Hi everyone!

I have been working on the main landing gears. And boy this was a tough one!

First, I rolled the pair of part #20 to form the struts. I couldn't resist painting the part that appears to be bare metal in silver:D On the real air plane, this part was usually covered with black bellows-like covers possibly made from rubber. I also built the forks.

Then I put a wire through the strut and inserted one end into the wheel. Then I attached the fork. The black discs on the picture did not come with the kit. Because I did not put anything inside the wing to support the joint between the wing and the landing gear, I decided to attach these 3mm diameter discs to the top end of the strut and glue it to the wing with gel-type super glue. The idea is to make the gluing area as broad as possible and to fill the hole for attaching the LG (which I made too big) with the super glue gel.

Last edited by ruf0us; 05-28-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Then I cut out the landing gear doors. When I dry fitted the LG door with the LG assembly, I noticed something was wrong. The strut is WAY too short and it won't fit with the LG door!

So I ripped the fork and the wheel from the strut and extended the strut by attaching a piece of paper rolled in a tube about the same diameter as the strut. The red circle in the picture indicates the part I added.

The strut was still too short and I had to add the second black disc at the top. I also chopped about 1mm from the top end of the LG door. Now the strut is barely long enough to be glued with the door.

And this is how the main landing gears turned out.

I'm not too happy with the result. The forks look different from the real airplane and this model does not have the torque links (the ">" shaped joints). Anyways, it's time to move on...

Thanks,
Shinji
Google Adsense
Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Shinji,
Great job building the Hien. I'm eager to see what you can achieve in a 1:32 scale :D

It's probably to late to change it, but reason for the gear strut being to short is that the topmost part of the door should be separated and overlap the rest of the door.
While the door are mounted to the strut, this part is attached to the wing.
I couldn't find any photo of the real plane showing this, but here is the model http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/...42-3069137.jpg
Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good work, Shinji. I am saving the words and pictures and Mike's additional advice to use as a reference when I get back to work on the Shoki.

Don
Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf0us View Post
Then I cut out the landing gear doors. When I dry fitted the LG door with the LG assembly, I noticed something was wrong. The strut is WAY too short and it won't fit with the LG door!

\
Thanks,
Shinji

On the door you must cut it apart into two segments. On the actual air plane it is not one long piece but two parts that they will slide over the outside of each other when the doors is open. It is hard to explain... but you would remove excess paper from between the segments of the doors not to make the strut longer. I find this detail on another airplane model...
Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks Michael and Keds_Girl_Lala for the info. I really appreciate it because every time I ask a question I get the answer immediately!

Looking at the pictures of the real aircraft again, I see what you are saying. There is a small door right next to the landing gear door under the wing, probably to make some room for the LG door to swing.

That explains everything I experienced with the landing gear. The model wasn't wrong. I couldn't make it right because of lack of a diagram for the landing gear and lack of my knowledge about the airplane. I should have learned more from the build threads of other people. Unfortunately, I cannot redo the landing gear any more without damaging the wing of the model. Next time, I will build it right.

Actually Michael, I already have the 1:33 Hakinski Ki-61 Hien in my to-do list (or oh-I-have-bought-this-many-models-how-am-I-going-to-do-with-them list). I have to think about how do I do with the "shamrock" thing. But before that, I have to finish my Halinski 1:33 Ki-43 II Hayabusa (the older one) which I was working on before I started this Marek Ki-61. And of course I have to finish this model first.

Thanks,
Shinji
Old 05-30-2009, 02:59 AM

Howdy!

I worked on some tiny parts today. First, the tail wheel.

The three parts in the middle are laminated on the cardboard. I thought it would look too thick if all laminated together and I sanded down the part "a" in the center to make it about 0.2 mm thinner.

Then I laminated the three parts in the middle and sanded the wheel to make it look like a tire, this time by hand. I colored the edges and the sanded area, then put everything together.

Now the tail wheel is attached to the tail of the airplane.

I did not build the tail wheel door (part #19) because the tail wheel of Ki-61-I Hei was not retractable any more. It was retractable in Ki-61-I Ko and Otsu, but not Hei.

Then I moved on to the tiny tube. What is this thing anyway?

I believe this is a fuel cooler which was used to prevent the fuel from boiling in summer. This device was removed from the airplane when it was not necessary in winter.

In this kit, the tube does not have any lids somehow and it just looks like a...tube. I believe the real thing had lids with meshed wire. I did not make the part myself this time because it is not absolutely necessary to finish the model.

The fuel cooler should be attached here.

Oh, I almost forgot about the rest of the landing gear doors.

And now everything is put together.

And that's it for today! Sorry, no drama this time:D

Thanks,
Shinji
Google Adsense