PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-30-2010, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Some progress. Got the fuselage together. For the most part the fit was good and the formers were all very workable. The forward section is a bit tricky with the thin rings, of course, but I made it a little worse by trying to burnish a curve into it. Most of it will be hidden by the engine cowl (I hope).
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3941.jpg
The dorsal ridge is a bit of a challenge. It's formed by a main form with cross "bulkheads" for shape.
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3944.jpg
The ridge skin is formed of a number of pieces, and while they all fit together well enough, I wonder if this is the best approach for this. The fit between the formers and the skins here needs work. I had to do a lot of sanding for a final fit that I'm not entirely happy with.
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3945.jpg
So far, overall, this isn't a bad kit at all (it's certainly a great subject!), and it's one of Marek's more recent, better fitting designs. But it would be a mistake to say that because it's a recent Marek that careful pre-fitting of parts isn't necessary.
I will say that the diagrams are a little better than the older Marek kits and while I had a number of questions on the build so far, careful scrutiny of the diagrams and pre-fitting the parts seems to be working satisfactorily.
Looking forward to getting the wings on this one!
Chris
Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

Thanks for all the good info on this kit. I'm following this with great interest.

I've had to do a bit of sanding on kits before...dry fit is ALWAYS a good idea. Whatever issues you've had thus far you've covered them up well. This really is looking good.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Tail feathers on. This was more work than I think it needed to be. It may just be me, but it seems that Marek has a tendency to use too many formers and overly complicated designs. Also, the two tail wings are supposed to be attached to a center piece that sits in the tail section of the fuselage. I couldn't get it to work, the angles were all wrong, so I used two wires as guides for the wings. As always, I would suspect my own mis-modeling to be part of the problem, but I do think there's a design issue there.

Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3949.jpg

Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3950.jpg

Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi, Chris. Your model is looking good so far, in spite of the difficulties. I seem to recall having similar problems with the horizontal stabilizers on my aborted He-51W build; fortunately, you were able to make things work.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
there could be.... he has some quirks.... glad you overcame!
Chris
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Small steps. My schedule isn't allowing me much modeling time, which is probably a good thing as I think this may be the most detailed paper model plane I've ever attempted and at the moment I can't do my usual (and usually regrettable) race through the build.
Got the tail wheel and hook on;
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3955.jpg
The wing frame is quite complete on this one;
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3956.jpg
All the parts through these assemblies fit very well.
Looking forward to getting the wings on;
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3957.jpg
Slowly, this one is taking shape.
Chris
Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looking good. I like the weathering on this kit - I think it will make a very nice model when done
Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

I agree this is coming together and looks great. That shows real craftmanship that you are able to overcome those flaws in the kit and still make a great looking aircraft. These tips are quite helpful, so thank you.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM

There is some really nice weathering on this kit. It didn't all come out on my prints, unfortunately, but what did looks good.
Got the main wings on;
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3958.jpg

Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3959.jpg
The wings themselves went on well. I think this is my 18th Marek build and I have to say that I have never had a problem with the main wings on any of them that I can remember.
Having said that, the ailerons are a little bit of a pain, only because the hole markings on the wing are a good 3/8ths of an inch off. No biggi, but no excuse for that one, either.
Next up are the main gear!
Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM

That's just quickly becoming one of Marek's prettiest designs! Beautiful job Chris.
I started printing this kit out at one time (not so long ago actually) and quickly learned
I didn't have the testicular fortitude needed to attempt it. I can't wait to see it done
so that I can follow in your footsteps

Ron