PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33

In an effort to distract myself from reality for a little longer, I'm going to attempt Marek's Claude;
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-model-a5m4.jpg
This is by far the most detailed of any of the Marek kits I've done and will also be the most detailed airplane I've ever attempted. It's six pages of parts and Marek seems at first glance to have done a thorough job on the assembly diagrams!
I've spotted one misnumbered part on the diagrams and can't seem to see where another part fits, but I'm not familiar with this plane and hopefully as I progress, I'll sort that one out.
Unfortunately, I've just started on a very intense, four or five week project, so I won't get this done for the competition, but I should still wind up with some usable photos for Chris when it's done.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'll look forward to this one, Chris. I've also found work has intensified to the detriment of model building.

Don
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Chris,
Great choice!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm really looking forward to this one. I love the Claude. Well, anything Japanese with spats is pretty cool.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 PM

Love the Claude! Michael's earlier build thread inspired me to buy the Skyline Paper Models version; it will be interesting to see how this one stacks up.
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM

I took a look at Mike's Skyline build. Beautiful looking model and great work as well. The two kits appear to be similar, with some differences. No surprise there, I know.
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_2126.jpg
Marek's kit does not come with bombs, only the reserve fuel tank. But it does come with a full engine, unlike the Skyline. The cockpits are the most obvious difference. Marek's is monochromatic compared to the Skyline kit. Marek's kit does have some weathering on the red painted sections as well.
I'm looking forward to this one, I hope I get a chance to start on it this week... if I'm lucky!
Chris

Last edited by cjwalas; 05-31-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 PM

Great choice, Chris! I'm looking forward to see more pictures.

I was curious about the markings of this airplane and did a quick research on it. The interesting thing I found was that the Kanjis and the numbers on this airplane does not represent the military unit this airplane belongs to, but what it means is this airplane was the 278th airplane that was donated to Japanese Navy from private sector. This particular airplane was donated from Osaka Gas company.

In a very patriotic mood after the Sino-Japanese war broke, people in Japan wanted do whatever that help win the war and literary thousands of airplanes were donated to Japanese Army and Navy. Sadly, at that time they were 100% sure they can win the war even against the United States.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 PM

How's this for resurrecting an old thread? Back from the dead, this one is very much still alive after a long visit to limbo.
The cockpit interior is nice, not too, too difficult.
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3935.jpgMarek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3936.jpg
I'm not doing anything anything fancy on this one like glazing the dials or anything. I just want to try and do a decent build of the basic kit.
There are a couple of details on the inside walls of the cockpit as well,
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3937.jpg
My hands seem to be getting a little klunky for dealing with small details, so it's probably a good thing that most of this engine will not be seen!:D
Marek Marathon A5M4 "Claude" 1:33-img_3939.jpg
That's it for now and please be aware that I will most likely be distracted by another build at any moment!
Chris
Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This is looking great thus far.
I have this one in my cart at ecards.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
COOL! More please...
CT