PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I remember building the 1/48 Monogram B-24 as a kid. This is really cool seeing that monster going together in paper!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.48 MB
Just saw this bird available at Chris's shop with a stunned price... I think maybe Chris post a wrong price for her :-)
Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Well, i am rather enjoying this build, I had started the Catalina some time ago, but never got around to finishing it, parts are too scattered to attempt again.

I have not done any reseach on the actual aircraft, checking the tail codes or the squadron.

The nose art is the interesting part of the kit to me, there are a bunch of flags on it, 4 Dutch, 8 French, and 11 Polish flags, not sure how to interpret that, bombing raids to those countries?

There is the familiar Polish Air Force Checkerboard on the nose also, near the front nose.

There is also a graphic of a skeleton riding a bomb with a cloak on, I have seen this one before on other aircraft.

but that will for another day's research

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
...The nose art is the interesting part of the kit to me, there are a bunch of flags on it, 4 Dutch, 8 French, and 11 Polish flags, not sure how to interpret that, bombing raids to those countries?...
Rick,
More likely weapons/medical supplies/personnel drops for the resistance fighters in those countries.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Mike,

Ok I can dig that, maybe my Dad got some of those drops
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Hmmm....that serial (BZ890) was a Liberator III assigned to No. 178 Squadron from Sep. 1943 until Dec. 1944. No. 178 Squadron was operating out of Libya in 1943 and then later out of bases in Italy as the Allies advanced into that area. The color scheme does not match the Liberator colors schemes for No. 178 Sqn. in the Med (two-tone uppers, black below.) This one presents a mystery at the moment - perhaps Chris (through Mr. Pacyński) can shed further light on the matter.

Added later - BUT WAIT, there's more! This aircraft was apparently later assigned to No. 301 (Pomeranian) Polish Sqn. which operated both the Handley Page Halifax and the Liberator out of Brindisi, Italy and was involved in supply dropping to underground forces in Yugoslavia and surrounding areas from late 1944 until the unit returned to England in 1945. The middle photo, eighth row shows GR-S (actually S/N BZ965) with the nose art of the model clearly displayed, as is the color scheme as presented on the model. The same website shows another aircraft wearing GR-S so it may be possible that BZ890 (if it was indeed transferred to 301 Sqn.) may have worn that code at one time.

Last edited by member_3; 06-01-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Found more info
Old 06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Well, it appears to be a plane from RAF Squadron 178. I can't find any specific historical significance of this plane, but Mike is probably spot on with the supply drop idea based on this quote (reference) "WARSAW Bombing and mining operations continued into the summer and by the end of July 178 was equipped solely with Liberator B VIs. In August as the Soviet Army approached Warsaw the underground Polish Home Army under General Bor-Komarowski rose against their Nazi oppressors. However the Soviet advance paused and therefore the only practical help available to the Poles were air supply drops by allied squadrons from Italy.
Initially the Special Duties units, No 148 Squadron and No 1586 (Polish) SD Flight began operations to Warsaw, but heavy losses soon required that they be reinforced. Thus on 13 August, 178 and 31 Squadron SAAF were tasked with dropping supplies to the beleaguered Home Army in Warsaw which involved a round trip of 1800 miles, most of it over heavily defended enemy territory."
There is some question of the accuracy of this plane completing these missions, as the same page says that the unit was equipped with only Liberator IV's by that point and plane BZ890 is definitely a type III (63931 to RAF as Liberator III BZ890. SOC Nov 30, 1943).
The only other information I can gather is that the plane was based out of base 'Terria' in Libya (reference) based on the time given where the unit used type III Liberators falling completely into the window of the unit being stationed there.

Last edited by dansls1; 06-01-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Price is right I am making all marek 1:50 the same price and 1:33 the same price unless Marek asks for something different I considered making this one a higher price but figured nah..... more people would buy it this way!
Chris
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
It's on my list Chris! Right after the Hunley! There is also a great Polish two engine bomber you have that I was eye balling too.

As I start building the more complicated models, it is getting harder to keep the boys happy with theirs. My 5 year old wants to help with everything. The larger parts are no problem if they can be cut with scissors, but I do not quite trust him with a craft knife yet!

The 10 year old is off to Grandpa's house for a visit and the 11 year old is off to camp with the boy scouts for a week, so I may get some more modeling done!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Ah the good old days - I was using hobby knives and straight edge razor blades to build models when I was 8, maybe 7. Nowadays they probably would have arrested my parents had anybody found out lol.
And back on topic - framing for the wings looks good Rick