PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
hmmm maybe another good one for laser cut formers
Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I got most of the formers cut out...not all of them, but most of them -- enough to get started on the assembly, anyway. Gave everything a coat of Krylon matte clear, and off we went!

First up, the cockpit. One of my chief dislikes about the PZL P-50 was the over-simplified cockpit. This one is much more detailed, as is demonstrated by the control column made from five pieces. The yoke was supposed to have been made from formed wire, but I found it much easier to cut out the pattern itself and use that, stiffened with some thin CA. This cockpit is so far at least as detailed as the ones in the CardPlane kits I have built, so it is definitely a step up from Marek's earlier designs.

Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-cockpit-1.jpgMarek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-cockpit-2.jpg

Bye for now,
Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looks great!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Nice clean work Chris!!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Off to a great start, Chris. Beautiful work, as always.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks, friends. Got a bit more cockpit progress to show.

Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-cockpit-3.jpgMarek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-cockpit-4.jpg

The construction thus far has not been without its big question marks. For one, the location of some parts, as was true for the P-50 also, is iffy. The center instrument console meets the cockpit framing on either side, but not at the locator marks printed on the framing. There are no marks for precisely locating the seat on its supports, either. Moreover, a dry fit of the aft cockpit bulkhead seems to indicate that the bar just behind the seat is too long, since it pushes the framing beyond the outside edge of the bulkhead; I may have to shorten that bar to get the inner cockpit skin to fit. None of these questions is resolved by the diagrams because an exploded view of the assembly is shown. Ah, challenges!

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
I like those seat belts.. Did you paint the metal, or is that foil??
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 PM

Actually, Peter, that's just the plain printed paper. At a normal viewing distance, it really does pass well enough for metal.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That's an outstanding interior, Chris. You sure do exceptionally fine and impressive work!

Don
Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 PM

A quote from Carl's Zealot build:

Quote:
I had intended to modify the kit to use joining strips instead of double bulkheads but got concerned while dealing with the cockpit. It has an inner skin as well as an outer skin. As a result I went with the stock double bulkhead system. BTW, the inner and outer skin roll in opposite directions which, to me, makes it very difficult to do a good job fitting them... particularly since the inner skin in this case didn't anchor to any frames or anything! I ended up splitting it at the bottom and attaching the pieces separately inside the out skin after shaping everything. The inner seam is hidden by the cockpit floor in any case.
This has not changed for this edition of the design. In addition to the quirks Carl mentioned, there are also numerous darts to be cut out in both the inner and outer skins. I left this bit undone for tonight, as sitting and staring at it did not seem to be easing my apprehensions. I think I will go with Carl's idea about separating the inner skin into pieces to ease things.

G'nite!
Google Adsense

Tags
heinkel he-51w, model cardboard