PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Unhappy troubles

Well, I'm not having very much fun with this build. I got the two cockpit skins joined, in pieces as suggested by Carl; it was the first time I've had to join skins needing so many darts, and, as I feared, it was a pain. I left the cockpit floor and bulkheads separate until I could check everything for fit inside the completed cockpit skins -- good thing, too, because I came across some serious fit problems. Either the bulkheads are too large, or the skins are too small, one or the other. When I tried wrapping the skins around the bulkheads, they were a good 2 mm short of completely wrapping. This has me wondering if maybe I printed the parts sheets incorrectly; because I print everything with the 'no scaling' option, I'm pretty careful to make sure that option is actually selected when I print, but maybe a page got by me without it? This all has my modeling morale kinda low at the moment.

Cheers (I guess)!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm trying to remember - it's been a while since I did the landplane version, and, of course, I can't currently jog my memory with Carl's build thread - but I don't recall any fit problems that major.

I'd try doing the fuselage section aft of the cockpit to double check the sizes of the formers. It's always possible that it did get printed wonky. If that's the case, I'd blame the printer and flog it with a spare ribbon cable<G>
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
I'd try doing the fuselage section aft of the cockpit to double check the sizes of the formers. It's always possible that it did get printed wonky.
Tried that...same problem. Will check on the printing tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Sorry to see you having such difficulties. I was thinking of building the land version for Chris' contest, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM

No joy, gentlemen. I reprinted both the skins and the formers after carefully checking I had selected the 'no scaling' option. Everything printed out the same size as what I had before. I also tried sanding down one of the bulkheads until all of the outside line was removed. That didn't work -- the part is still significantly too large to fit within the rolled skin.

At this point I am stumped. I do not know for certain whether this is a problem only for a few fuselage bulkheads, or for all the parts on that page, or for all the formers in general. I could sand down all the bulkheads until they all fit, but what if all the formers are too large??

Chris G, I'm wondering if maybe Marek might have inadvertently resized some parts during his repaint? Is that something you could have him check on?

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Trials and Tribulations

Whilst thinking over the aforementioned fit problems, it occurred to me that all the bad-fitting bulkheads came from the same parts sheet, page 6. So, to test this, I dropped in bulkhead G, which is from a different sheet. Ta-daaa! Fits perfectly.
Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-good-parts-fit.jpg

In contrast, bulkhead F is too large. Here, I'm pinching the fuselage skin tightly to the lower bulkhead, and there is not enough skin left to wrap the bulkhead completely, even though the bulkhead has been substantially sanded.
Marek Marathon: Heinkel He-51W (1/33)-bad-parts-fit-1.jpg

Not only that, but bulkhead E (also from page 6) is also too large, and since the cockpit floor fits bulkhead E perfectly, that would seem to indicate that all the cockpit parts are too large as well. Guess which page they came from? That's right...page 6.

I referred this problem over to Chris, who will hopefully relay it over to Marek for prompt treatment. Can't say I'm enthused about having to rebuild the cockpit, though. :( Oh, well. If we didn't have such difficulties, we would have fewer stories to tell!

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Your showing amazing patience Chris.. I tend to "Circular File" projects that go like this, or shelve them way in the back of the "get back to it later pile"..
Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I got it to him for resolution...
Thanks!
Chris
Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM

I have the KEL printed version of the He-51, the electronic He-51 and the electronic He-51W. Checking the dimensions of bulkheads E and F and the cockpit floor show them to all be the same. It sounds like if there is a problem with one it should be there on all three. I haven't built any of these so I have no actual experience with the build. I am quite interested to see what the resolution is.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Has anyone tried the standard he-51 as of yet? Also Chris when you printed did you use any scaling when printing? If this goes into the printed one it could be problematic for the publisher....
Thanks!
Chris

Tags
heinkel he-51w, model cardboard