PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Marek Marathon: Albatros CXII

I've always liked the Albatros two seaters, so when Chris asked if I wanted to try another Marek model after I finished the Morane, I saw that this beauty was available. As soon as I opened the file I realized that this was lot more detailed then the Morane, with quite a few more parts.

The Kit...
The model consists of a cover sheet, plus 10 pages of parts and diagrams.. Noticeable right off is the number of very clear diagrams for all the sub-assemblies. The coloring IMO is some of the best I've seen for a WWI subject. I have most of the paints for all the camos left over from my WWI plastic days, and they match up well with what was printed out. Very impressive. Nice thin outlines on all the parts. Like the Morane, I printed this out "scaled/fit to page" on US letter size 65# Bright white stock. So what this scales out too from 1/33, I'm not sure?? And I don't really care, as long as everything fits.

History..from a Google search.

The C.XII succeeded the C.X and began to emerge from the Albatros production lines in the autumn of 1917. Few two-seaters surpassed it for nicety of proportion and profile. Yet the refinement of fuselage design did not produce any great improvement in performance. This was largely due to the inadequate wing sections in use, a really efficient lift/drag ratio having not yet been attained.
The fining down of the C.XII fuselage resulted in a considerable reduction of the keel surface, and to retain adequate directional stability a small under fin was incorporated in the vertical tail surfaces. To retain fore and aft sensitivity, the fixed tailplane was reduced in area. The wings were almost identical to those of the C.X and of the same construction.
The C.XII came into quite widespread service on the Wertern Front during 1918, and remained in operation until the cessation of hostilities.

Conclusion..
A first class kit, and I think a big inprovement all the way around compared to the Morane I did.. And the Morane was a very good model. We shall see how she builds....
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: Albatros CXII-sun44-006.jpg   Marek Marathon: Albatros CXII-sun44-007.jpg   Marek Marathon: Albatros CXII-sun44-008.jpg   Marek Marathon: Albatros CXII-sun44-009.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I love those Albatri and look forward to seeing this one take shape.

Don
Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
LOL - I had greedily grabbed this and the Fokker D.VI but quickly realized that the Fokker was much more detailed than I had expected and after I looked at the Albatros, found that it was even more detailed. Chris graciously let me off the hook for the C.XII and I'm glad it ended up with you, Peter. Your great work with the Morane shows you should be up to the task on this one. The engine alone is worth the price of the admission!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
This will be fun to watch! There is another one avaialble if anyone is so inspired by this thread
Chris
Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
LOL - I had greedily grabbed this and the Fokker D.VI but quickly realized that the Fokker was much more detailed than I had expected and after I looked at the Albatros, found that it was even more detailed. Chris graciously let me off the hook for the C.XII and I'm glad it ended up with you, Peter. Your great work with the Morane shows you should be up to the task on this one. The engine alone is worth the price of the admission!
Ron.. the D.VI was my first choice, but I was told that an Old Troll had already snagged it, so I opted for the CXII.. . If the Fokker is as nice as this, it should be a beauty. Looking forward to seeing your build of it.
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM

Chris, I've yet to join but now might be the time. If you're watching ,
put me down for one!
Peter, after your last build it's no wonder Chris asked you. I can't wait
to follow along as we all did in your last build

All the best!
Ron
Old 06-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Hee hee, Peter, enough fiddly bits on that kit to test your sanity! It's sure to be a beauty...I'll be watching.

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Ron, Will get it uploaded then message you with the link - its 28 mb so I cant email it
Chris
Old 06-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Ron, Will get it uploaded then message you with the link - its 28 mb so I cant email it
Chris
UH-OH!! 28mb...I asked for it didn't I

Thank you Chris!
Ron
Old 06-06-2009, 04:35 PM

observer/gunner cockpit

Well I've started.. Right off the top I'm appreciating the extra diagrams. All sub-assemblies are clearly shown. Have manage to get the gunners part of the cockpit together. Lots of finicky parts, but they look good when put together as a unit.
First thing I did was use spray adhesive to attach most of the parts that need to be on 0.5 card.

Cockpit parts and diagram..

Seat assembly...

Ammo storage rack...

Camera parts..

Center former w/seat belts...

Briefcase/map case??

Completed...

Google Adsense