PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki

Here is my first entry in Chris’s ECardmodels Marek Contest. I hope to build all three of the Marek 1/50 Shokis before it’s over.

I started this particular model last year and it made a cameo appearance in my M-37 build thread (first photo below). My hope is that it was in such an early stage that Chris will allow it as a legitimate entry. I resumed work last week and can show a little progress.

The model is of a Nakajima Type 2 Fighter Model 2 (Ki-44-II), Shoki, codenamed “Tojo” by Allied intelligence. Specifically, it is Aircraft No. 64 assigned to the Akeno Army Flying School (Akeno Rikugun Hikō Gakkō) some time prior to 20 June 1944. I think it is of a Ki-44-IIa (Type 2 Fighter Model 2 Kō) because the wing guns appear to be 12.7mm. Mike, Shrike, Charlie, and others will point out that some Ki-44IIbs had the 40mm HO 301 wing cannons replaced by 12.7mm HO 103 machine guns and the Ki-44IIc had 12.7mm guns in both wings and fuselage. Both types were in service in 1944, so there is room for argument about this particular aircraft, but I think the odds are on my side.

I set the date as pre-20 June 1944 because on that date the Akeno Flying Training Division (Akeno Kyōdō Hikōshidan) was formed and the tail insignia (red spiked disk with stylized kanji character for “Akeno”) was changed by adding wings to the disk.

This assessment is based on Richard Bueschel’s Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki in Japanese Army Air Force Service (Atglen, PA: Schiffer, 1996); Jim Long’s very thorough discussion of the Ki-44 subtypes and armament in J-Aircraft Forum (http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=5995.0); and the Wings Palette posting of Kazuaki Koizumi’s painting of Aircraft No. 93 of the Akeno Army Flying School (http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/774/65/2). I have taken the liberty of posting a photo of that painting below.

The model consists of 30 part numbers (some, like the wheels and propellers, have multiple parts). I printed it out on Wausau 67 lb. Exact Index (.009”/0.2mm thickness 145 g/m2).

So far, I have found only one problem. Parts D and E (fuselage formers) are mislabeled as E and F). Photo 3.

Photo 4 shows the workbench/writing desk when I resumed the build last week. I will post again later today to bring the build up to date.

Don Boose
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-01.jpg   Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-02.jpg   Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-03.jpg   Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-04.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Photo 1 shows the work of yesterday and photo 2 brings the work up to date, shows my workbench as it actually looks when not cleaned up for a photo, shows a couple of Shrike's RolyStyks as well as a couple of my home-made modeling instruments, and also provides my entry in the "what kind of knife do you use" discussion .

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-05.jpg   Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-06.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Looks like a nice, comfy kind of work space, Don.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looking good so far Don - will be a pleasure to watch this build.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Eternal Member

Good start Don

Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 PM

I like your sushi cup, Don! I also like your cat from Dan's thread. We've got a grey American shorthair too. Wonderful kitties, although ours is perhaps a bit spoiled.

You're moving along very quickly, it looks great! How do you like the Tombow mono aqua? I've just ordered some and am very curious to try it.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Don sama,

It's interesting to read about Shoki you explained because in Japan it isn't popular compared to the U.S. and we seldom find such interesting writing.
Your swift build devastate me slow builder:( But our so called Golden Week holidays start soon and I will try hard to catch up with your build
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hey, Don, what's that about "En svensk tiger"...?

[Untranslateable pun, "A Swedish tiger" looks and is spelled exactly like "A Swede will keep mum" - propaganda phrase during WWII exhorting people not to talk about things that might be of strategic importance; Sweden was quite a hornet's nest of spies from many camps.]

-L.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Looks good! You can use it cause it was well under 25% done
Chris
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hello Don,
Magnificent model, your "Ki-44" and built very nice so far.
About to bad labeling, I have noticed that with electronic models is not a rarity.

Orazio
Google Adsense