PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Marlab Miniboats Projects

Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Exclamation CardCat

Hi Guys

Thanks for the sub-forum Chris.

I will only be presenting those of my designs for which I will use cardboard and or paper. Since I expect my boats to actually sail, the hulls will be treated with polyester. However, if you want to make stand models or more environmentally friendly models then you may want to try leaving out the polyester and using a water-resistant wood glue as "paint" instead of polyester. I will not be doing that though.

The first CardCat is the semi-landing craft "Island Carrier". This is both a bit too complicated (>400 parts big and small), and a bit too large (1200mm) for what is for me a first time attempt at making a hull from cardboard, so I will drop my original idea of making a version of Island Carrier and instead design a new boat of a simpler and smaller type (maybe just less than about an A4 page in length - and so that it can be photocopied up to the required size without losing the measurements somewhere.) The idea is to print the parts and instructions for building in a book (bit like Haines car manuals though more primitive) and publish it through my own publishing company (1 man like the rest of everything I do these days) with an ISBN number so it can be ordered online through lulu.com when the time comes. I won't put engines , RC gear, batteries etc in it so those of you who are not into RC can simply make a stand model. But the manual will include suggested equipment from known suppliers.

I am building my small workshop in a garage at the moment and just getting over double pneumonia and asthma. So it may be a week or two before I can get around to it in a serious manner. On the other hand if it keeps raining like it has the last few days and I get bored - who knows ?

Looking forward to "meeting" you all on the forum here.

Cheers
Gerry
-----------------------------------------------------------
Marlab Miniboats - CardCat
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 AM

CardCat

I opted for a 1/6 scale model of the X200 Stealth Drone in cardboard and polyester. This is much simpler and faster for me to design/build since there are very few distinguishing features on its surface. Of course the internal arrangement cannot be the same as for the original. I will design it for one of the small, cheap drives from Graupner or Robbe so that RC interested can run it by buying the gear from your preferred RC shop. Back later when I have something worth posting.

Cheers
Gerry
-------------------------------------------------
Marlab Miniboats - CardCat
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Hi Chris

How do I lock a thread ? I have checked out the FAQ but there is no mention of how to do that.

Cheers
Gerry