PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Marlab Miniboats Projects

Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Guys

The first component of the CardCat Class X200 Stealth Drone is complete. This is the Longitudinal CL (for Centre Line). It runs along the centre line of the boat. The longitudinal (which I will call LCL from now on as I am lazy) is composed of a piece of 0.65mm cardboard with reinforcing bars running along all edges, also in 0.65mm cardboard. These bars are glued to the LCL by 3mm x 3mm x 0.65mm "angle brackets" of 30mm length. The structure is kind of an "I Beam" in cross-section. Calculated weight 8.77 g and extremely strong and stiff for its size and weight.

Gerry

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Hi Guys

The bedding is constructed, the Longitudinal Centre Line (LCL) installed and aligned both in the longitudinal and vertical axis. As you can see from the photo it will stay there until I remove it, which will be when I am ready to turn the boat the right way up again. Work proceeds on the Transverse #4 (Battery Support transversal).

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Project on track - kind of...

(Photo 1) Transverse 5 locked in place on the LCL. Now almost midnight. Time to get some shuteye. Night guys.

(Photo 2) If the work on the bedding and alignment is done properly the entire arrangement can by turned to any angle you choose to get at those awkward small spaces. Just the same as in virtual space.

(photo 3) When it got to this stage I dropped work on Transverse #4 and started on Transverse #5. I will have to rethink #4 ...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Hi Folks

Transversals 2&3 are in place on the LCL. The strips visible in the photo are merely there to keep alignment at the connection between the LCL and the transversals while the glue on the angle brackets is drying. These will be removed and re-alignment of the transversals will be done before the skin is attached.

Things went well today. A new construction method resulted in changes to the templates and design and this in turn led to an easier and more precise construction phase. Feedback in motion...
Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 PM

looking on with interest Dr. That is one heck of a paper support structure.
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2011, 04:34 AM

Hi Folks

PaperAirForce - Thanks for the comment. Do you think it will be too heavy for the job ?

Ok guys. All of the transversals are now in place except #4 (the battery holder). I have decided to make this as a polystyrene block carved out to take the D-Call batteries and inserted through the top deck. This will provide excellent stiffening of the hull around the batteries, prevent them from moving around as the boat sails, and last but not least provide a little extra buoyancy in an emergency. So #4 is dropped altogether. After lunch I will be starting on the outer skin. I have been wondering whether or not I should use 0.2mm or 0.65mm card for that. The bridge bottom plate should be in 0.65 but the others ? I am going to try with 0.65 for everything. If it works out this will mean only one thickness of cardboard used throughout the boat - so logistics should be best.

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Hi Guys

The last frame members complete, I have removed all of the supporting structure from the bedding. The only things holding the boat down now are the four spots of glue attaching the LCL to the bedding. The bridge bottom plate and port hull side plates are installed, at the same time aligning the port hull transversals. The photo shows the bow chevron plate being glued in place.

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi Folks

I reached the experience limit for the current prototype today when I completed the port hull plating. This prototype is now set aside for later when I may need to confirm something. In the mean time there are an aweful lot of changes I can make to the design to make the hull lighter without losing strength, but more importantly to make assembly simpler.

So it is back to the drawing board for the next couple of days - then start on the new prototype Monday. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGerryD View Post
Hi Folks

PaperAirForce - Thanks for the comment. Do you think it will be too heavy for the job ?
not sure if you mean too weighty or too heavy duty. I would not think an r/c boat needs very sturdy support, though it can't hurt and it is an impressive structure! Regarding weight, I would think the more the better since r/c boats tend to need ballast anyways - probably especially card ones. But perhaps your batteries and engine will provide enough.

may I ask, why the stealth drone classification? What little I know, that means unmanned and radar evading! One of the two is a given, but....
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperairforce View Post
not sure if you mean too weighty or too heavy duty. I would not think an r/c boat needs very sturdy support, though it can't hurt and it is an impressive structure! Regarding weight, I would think the more the better since r/c boats tend to need ballast anyways - probably especially card ones. But perhaps your batteries and engine will provide enough.

may I ask, why the stealth drone classification? What little I know, that means unmanned and radar evading! One of the two is a given, but....
That was just a bit of fun. Got carried away with the name and gave it to the boat I am about to build (2.4m remote controlled). That was an idea I had a couple of years ago for a drone which could be programmed to aid SAR operations in the Baltic Sea.
Cheers
Gerry
Google Adsense