PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Marlab Miniboats Projects

Old 08-20-2011, 04:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well folks

The redesign went faster than imagined despite several coffe breaks etc.

Here then are the latest and last drawings of the X200. From here on in progress reports will include photographs instead. Cutting and assembly should be considerably faster despite the boat being a little bit bigger to take account of the problem with D-Cell size.

Cheers
Gerry

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Hi Guys

Went well today -the X200 frame is complete. Unless I discover a disaster somewhere there will be no further changes. Work on the skin starts tomorrow.

Cheers
Gerry

Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Hi Guys

Last photos of the most current protoype. At 03:00 this morning I got sick and tired of all those teeny weeny bits that it is impossible to keep track of while maintaining some sort of pleasure from the effort. So, I have decided to construct this in another way. The basic design is excellent. It looks good, has a great hull stiffness and weighs in at a projected 150 grams. Not bad at all ! So I am keeping the basic design as it is, unless something unexpected happens. I am going to concentrate my efforts now on making it assemblable with as little pain and unregistered angle brackets as possible. I should mention here that this was also an attempt to make the boat without a bedding, and without any alignment at all. It works.

Cheers
Gerry

Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 AM

Hi Guys

The change to another way of building works excellently. The stern module of the X200 is now complete and no more design is neccessary. The first photo shows the parts after cutting - yes there are only 6 parts but you better keep your tounge in while folding along the dotted lines ..

The second photo shows the entire aft end finished. Note that the only joints which will need to be caulked are those to the bulkhead and transom. There are no other joints in the rest which is folded from 2 pieces (the folded part makes the longitudinal stiffeners).

This is actually stronger than the previous version as the central stiffener is considerably thicker. I have already started lofting the aft midships module between bulkheads B1 and B2. If things work out the entire midships module, sonsisting of 4 "quarter" mosules will be finished late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

This is definitely a much simpler and attractive construction.

Cheers
Gerry

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

fascinating process Dr.! that design above looks incredibly strong and well built. and a funny thing happened....I can see it just fine, but my radar isn't picking anything up...hmmmm
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks paperairforce - it is always nice for a backroom boy to get a pat on the back from people who knownwhat they are talking about. :D

Update. The aft midships module is complete and connected to the stern module both by glue AND staples. The structure is indeed extremely strong for its weight as you will see from one of the enclosed photos where I test its longitudinal strength with 5lbs of canned vegetables. At this point the hull weighs only 85g. There is not enough room yet to load the hull transverse but arm pressure from this weakling could not provoke any sign of deformation.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 AM

Hi Guys

The forward midships module was finished and attached to the hull at about 0100 this morning. Photo shows.

I have just completed revision of the drawings for the finalmodule, the Bow module, and after a coffe break will be getting on with that. More on that later.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi Guys

A noteworthy day. The construction phase of the CardCat X200 Stealth Drone hull is finished. I connected the Bow Module to the rest of the hull about an hour ago. Now I will mode on to the canopy while the glue on the assembly cures. This will take about 12 hours. The glue is dry after only a few minutes but first reaches its plastic-like state after 12 hours.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Hi Guys

I have now tested 6 typed of caulking paste and finally went for the ordinary silicon based stuff I use for wooden boats. That should not surprise since wood and paper are closely related. After caulking the prototype I can only say - I am still not satisfied with the result. Technically speaking - yes - I have reached the technical targets I set. But the results are not at all pretty as you can see from the photos in the previous posting. So now I go back to the drawing board once again and try to see this aspect while maintaining the technical and assembly improvements. This means that the intention of splitting the templates up into A4 or A5 sizes will have to wait this time around. The sheets of card I use are 1000 x 700 mm so For this next construction I am going to use a whole sheet without cutting it us first. I should get the whole boat out of one sheet with hopefully at least a 9.5 for artistic impression.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Hi Guys

I have now tested 6 types of caulking paste and finally went for the ordinary silicon based stuff I use for wooden boats. That should not surprise since wood and paper are closely related. After caulking the prototype I can only say - I am still not satisfied with the result. Technically speaking - yes - I have reached the technical targets I set. But the results are not at all pretty as you can see from the photos in the previous posting. So now I go back to the drawing board once again and try to see this aspect while maintaining the technical and assembly improvements. This means that the intention of splitting the templates up into A4 or A5 sizes will have to wait this time around. The sheets of card I use are 1000 x 700 mm so For this next construction I am going to use a whole sheet without cutting it up first. I should get the whole boat out of one sheet with hopefully at least a 9.5 for artistic impression.
Google Adsense