PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Marlab Miniboats Projects

Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Guys

Instead oi just caulking the seams with the silicone sealing compound I opted for covering as much of the hull as possible. This is certainly a watertight hull now ! The covering will be sanded down when it has dried for a couple of days. In the mean time it looks as if it was hand moulded with GRP without a gel coat. It is going to look fine. I decided that the update of the drawings was of a higher priority than making the canopy so I have started on that.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Hi guys

I spent today looking into another way of construction of the hull. Hoping to avoid those ugly module joints by constructing the boat skin of only longitudinal sections. As you can see in the photos this worked. However, the price is too high, in that it was impossible to reach the deepest parts of the hull to ensure correct gleuing and the structure was to unhandy to handle easily. So I am going back to the modular approach as the best (also for small workshop tables) but will now look deep and hard at the module interface and find a better way of carrying this out.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Hi Guys

The final version of the X200 stern end (will add Kortz Nozzles later when the entire boat has been assembled). This also has the canopy installed. An approved assembly method has now been created and used. This is a stand model so no engines or batteries or R/C gear will be installed. I will probably use it as a display of some kind. Now on to the twin midships modules.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 AM

Hi Guys

The "production model" of the CardCat X200 hull is complete and now ready for painting. I have decided to leave the hatch covers out as I want viewers to be able to see the internal structure of the boat. The Kortz nozzles and rudders are included but not the drives and propellers. This is as far at we can go without investing in the technical equipment, like engines, batteries and RC gear. I just had to include a photo of the mess after the battle with plating. Just to show that not everything is organised around here.. :D I am going to have to wait for the technical stuff until I can afford it. In the mean time I am going to use some of the experiences learned from this project to change a few things in the "real" X200 (that's the 2m version in Meranti) or since I found this cardboard thing quite challenging and interesting, I may make a larger version of one of the monohulls and use this as a standard for the entire class. More photos and final specs when the paint job is over.

Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2011, 05:04 AM

Hi Guys

Have I bored you all to death with these reports ? If I have then I will tone it down a bit for the future.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
No, not bored at all! It is interesting to see it 'evolve' and come to life!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Hi Guys

Have dug out the paint I need for the X200 from the cellar (with the aid of my wife since I am unable to manage stairs at all) and will be starting painting the X200 tomorrow morning. The colour scheme will be off white internally and camo externally.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 AM

Hi Guys

There is no doubt about it. The 900mm version of the X200 (named X900) is one mother of a cardboard hull. Made in 2mm card the parts are not only glued together but also pop-rivetted with 3mm aluminium pop rivets. Here for example is the drawing for one of the 4 bulkheads in the boat. The small holes show the locations of the pop rivets. The projected cargo capacity of the boat will be around 14Kg - a humongous capacity for such a small boat whose projected weight will lie around the 2Kg mark. This will be an extremely sea-worthy hull, and I mean SEA-worthy. I may begin marketting this as an environmental monitoring boat for use in sensitive areas like bird colonies etc. We shall see. I have to build it first..:D (You can probably "hear" that I am looking forward to that.

In the mean time I have painted both the last prototype and the "production" versions of the X200 with their first layers of terpentine based paint (green). This weekend I expect to add brówn and maybe some black in a camo pattern. Both will be float tested in the kitchen sink when ready (no need to break out my 8foot inflatable swimming pool to test these hulls). The last prototype will be used to measure trim/load and displacement values. More on that later. The other will be used only as a demo model.

I will be starting a new project thread for the CardCat X900 Stealth Drone when I start building it next week.