PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Marlab Miniboats Projects

Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
CardCat Class - X200 Stealth Drone

Hi Guys

Had an interesting couple of days. I built a trial mockup of the X200 in 0.2mm cardboard - length just under A4 size. It was just for testing that I have taken account of all those little bits and pieces that need to be there, to work out which work processes I can do away with to make things faster, and which sub-assembly level I should choose to reduce the number of parts and make things simpler. At the same time I discovered that my fingers do not fit well inside such a small model ... Last time I worked on something this size was scalectric back in 1960. Maybe my fingers have grown a bit since then... And that leads me to a question you can maybe help me with.

How big/small models do you work with normally. These CardCat boats are new and there is no scale factor like 1/32 or whatever. So if I can get some idea at least of the number of milimmeters involved and that you all won't keel over laughing or go into a coma if I come along with something that fits A3 instead of A4.

Gerry

Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Hey Dr. D., could you give some more reference for this craft. I visited your website, Marlab Miniboats - CardCat

but I could not find the origins of the craft. It is a very interesting design. Almost looks like it might have good sailing characteristics with a couple of keels and some rigging! I believe it is your design then? What do you model in?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Hi Zathros

Yes, I only build models of my own designs. I used to design ships professionally and in those days I used steel and aluminium. A couple of years ago I went on a pension and not having room for 4000 tons scrap metal in my back yard I went over to designing miniboats to my own designs - in meranti plywood mostly. The X200 is an original design for a stealth drone of 2400mm length which I will shortly be starting to build. Recently I became interested in designing boats using cardboard and polyester and since I already have most of the drawings for the original X200, decided to make a scaled down version for cardboard and polyester. I have not built a boat out of cardboard before so it is very interesting - and may I say more fun than I had expected.

What about you ?

Regards
Gerry
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Hi Folks

I have just completed the CardCat X200 Stealth Drone Bridge Assembly. Everything went just as it should and the site is updated (the site is now running ok - the guys at my ISP found and solved the problem) . Moving on now to the Port hull.

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 AM

Hi Folks

New progress report and photos on the boat's web site.

Marlab Miniboats - CardCat Class - X200 Stealth Drone - By Dr. Alfred G Davison

Cheers
Gerry
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Hello folks.

The first module (Forward Module) has been completed and dokumented (photos and a small text). It worked out just fine. Check out the specs for the module on the project web site. Marlab Miniboats - CardCat Class - X200 Stealth Drone - By Dr. Alfred G Davison
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Hey Gerry!
Looking good

In regards to size you can design/build in whatever size you want Bigger is usually better because its easier for a builder to shrink than to blow up if he wants bigger

SInce these are custom boats you can figure approximate scales compared to what you think would be an appropriate sized real boat of the same style.

These could make cool plans for RC?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Hey Gerry!
Looking good

In regards to size you can design/build in whatever size you want Bigger is usually better because its easier for a builder to shrink than to blow up if he wants bigger

SInce these are custom boats you can figure approximate scales compared to what you think would be an appropriate sized real boat of the same style.

These could make cool plans for RC?
Thanks for the tip Chris. I'll bear that in mind when the module size is fixed within the next couple of days. I'll just choose a scale for the figures and take it from there. By the way the final version of the boat is already looking for stealth than the version I have shown so far... As for RC - The Battery module is about to be fixed. There will be 2 modules, one in each hull - with a 4 D-Cell capacity. Because of these heavt batteries, there will be a floatation chamber in each hull of about the same size. I am trying to keep the weight of the boat below 1Kg.

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Hi Folks

Hurrah - the X200 Standard Module is complete. This module is the core of the various special modules which will,appear very soon. A single X200 hull contains (From the Bow)
  • Forward Module - contains trim ballast as neccessary
  • Floatation Module
  • D-Cell Battery Module
  • Floatation Module
  • Engine Module
In RC applications the Floatation Modules will contain expanded polystyrene. As close as we can get to unsinkable under normal circumstances.

I have made one D-Cell Battery Module, and am about to start on the other five standard modules which comprise both hulls. Here is a small collage of drawings (no photos as yet).

Cheers
Gerry
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Hello Folks

After completion of the "module" project yesterday, and the completion of the "bridge" project last week, I now feel that I know enough about card of various types and dimensions to be able to start on the boat design proper. Cardboard is a very exciting material, with its own special problems and advantages as in any other material. So the design will not be the same as if it was made in steel, aluminium or GRP. Yes the material is very flexible - but that also means that the least little bit of stress within it because of temperature and more importantly humidity, and the whole structure warps. All that is left before I start the design work is to make a couple of old-fashioned "box girder" bulkheads and see how they stand up to the stresses involved in making them. Fortunately for me, my stress can be helped by coffee. Maybe I should spill some on the boat ... :D

Cheers
Gerry
Google Adsense