PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Marlab Miniboats Projects

Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mobohull B

Hi Guys
Inspired by experiences with the X200, I am opting to build a larger monohull to be used in other catamaran designs. This monohull may form the foundation of a larger version of the X200. The targets are as follows.
1) LOA 900mm.
2) Draft 100mm max.
3) Displacement about 8Kg.
4) As few parts as possible.
5) SLO construction (Straight Lines Only) - easy to cut and assemble.
6) No single part bigger than A3.

With the aim of learning more about cardboard as a material I have chosen 1,8mm card for the frame and 0.65 mm card for the skin. The 0.65mm I used for the X200 gave me some big problems. It is coated on one side and not on the other. The wood glue I use is strong and in several cases I had to make new parts as the glued on bit actually peeled the coating off the card. This will not be the case for the future. I will only be using non-coated card. Coated card is hereby FORBIDDEN here. My printer will not accept card above about 0.5mm, so the only course of action is to print on ordinary A3 and transfer to the card using carbon paper - using light glue to glue the paper to the card is not an option. So the SLO construction is meant to ease that burden too.
I have named this project Monohull B.
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 AM

Hi Guys

The specs for Monohull B

LOA: 901mm
Beam: 160mm
Moulded Draft: 200mm
Max Draft: 100mm
Weight: 948g (using 1.8mm cardboard as skin)
Max displacement 8.0 Kg

These are for the hull. The technical installation will of course add to the weight, and possibly change the draft figures. My guess is that a useable cargo load will be around the 14Kg mark for a catamaran built using this monohull if the skin stays at 1,8mm.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Hi Guys

Because of the sizes involved in the Monohull B, and my wobbly knifework, I have decided to try and find a cheap guillotine or cutter which can manage A3 in 3.5mm cardboard. Am currently checking out some on the web, but it looks like they all will cost me around $400 (2000kr.) Outside my range as a pensioner - so it may be a while before I can do more here.
Be back on this subject when I can. In the mean time I am preparing to paint the X200.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM

Well things went better than I had hoped. I found a good rotation cutter almost to A2 at a price I can afford on monthly payments. Of course I ordered it right away and expect it to turn up with the mail man in a day or two (Denmark is a small country). I can now stock up on 1.8mm card and hopefully be at work by the weekend.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 AM

I am starting a new thread for the CardCat X900 Stealth Drone. This is the 900mm version of the X200 and is based upon Monohull B. So reporting on the Monohull B will now be transferred to the X900 thread. Thanks for your interest so far.
Google Adsense