PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make > Metal Earth

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Metal Works Golden Gate Bridge

Here are some photos of the Metal Works San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge 3D laser cut model. The material is steel, verified with the magnet test.

It would really help if you had a jeweler's needle nosed pliers. The needle nosed pliers I used is out of my tool box so it is not exactly good for delicate work. Also, very good lighting and a good set of eyes would be very helpful, if not essential.

The pliers are used to bend and/or twist the itty bitty tabs that connect the various parts. The tabs are 0.75mm wide according to my digital calipers.

The delicate parts tended to get bent out of shape, but some gentle persuasion got them more or less back into shape.

The package the model came in:

The parts:

They are actually a stainless steel color. 110mm square.

The instruction sheet:

One of the parts front with dimension of the itty bitty tab:

One side has some raised details, the other side is flat. Make sure the raised detail side is the one that shows.

Back, flat side of the same part

Side view of the completed bridge:

Side view of completed bridge with scale cube:

Elevated side view:

Elevated length view:

It looks pretty good after completion. I ran into some trouble with the insertion of the uprights into the bases. You have to bend a flange on either side of a connector piece to form a U-shaped section at the bottom then fit the three tabs into three slots laid out in a U-shaped pattern on the base. I managed to break one of the flanges off, but the twisting of the other two inserted tabs secured the upright OK. Close enough for gov'nt work, anyway.

I also have the Huey and the Black Pearl. The Black Pearl should be quite an adventure to put together.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Very nice work Doug! Where did you get these? I went by my local A.C. Moore store and they nevah heard them.

Curt
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
Very nice work Doug! Where did you get these? I went by my local A.C. Moore store and they nevah heard them.

Curt
Amazon.com $6.89 when I checked.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Francisc.../dp/B005HPSV22

Curt
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I could not find any locally either, even at the SciPort Center, so I ordered through Amazon.com.
Amazon.com: metal works 3d laser cut models

I was looking at the Black Pearl model. The masts come in four parts with a slit half way up each piece. You slip the pieces together to form the masts which looks like they form a "+" shaped cross section. The rigging is part of one of the mast sections.

Here are some pics of the parts sheets and the instructions:

Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4 make up the masts and rigging. You slip parts 2, 3, and 4 onto part 1. Looks to be quite an adventure. I have to find a finer set of needle nose pliers to use this time.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
Very well done with the Golden Gate Bridge. You'll find the Black Pearl some what of a challenege. Great little kits and a change of pace. I posted a picture of my Pearl 1-6-2013 on this same forum. I also wish I'd had a smaller set of needle nose when I biult mine. Good luck and enjoy. John
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Checked out the web site printed on the package. Lots of stuff there including a bunch of those Metal Works models. They even have 360° views of the models that you can spin around to look at them from different angles.
Metal Models at Fascinations.com